40hp down a cylinder, running lean question

dirttrax

Cadet
I just inherited a 1993 basstracker with 40hp evinrude down a cylinder. I tore the motor down to find a cyl, piston and rings scarred heavily from no oil. Ive had the block fixed got all my new parts and am putting it back together now. What im wondering is what would cause this to make sure it doent happen again. Previous owner wasnt any help just said it was down a cyl. Just from my own experience since it only affected one cyl Im thinking it was a fuel blockage in one carb or maybe reeds for that cylinder. I plan on checking the timing and doing lync and sync when its back together. Is there any thing else I should check out? Suggestion, ideas? It does have the factory vro still hooked up.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 40hp down a cylinder, running lean question

As it wasjust the one cylinder damaged then it's the carb, get new carb kits for both carbs and give them a very good cleaning. Also check the impeller while your at it and see if it needs replacing, throw in new plugs too for good measure, gapped at 0.30.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it was my mtr, I'd disconnect the oil side of the vro using it for a fuel pump only and mix my fuel 50:1. JMHO

dirttrax

Cadet

Yeah I plan on disabling the vro and using premix just for peace of mind. Was just looking for other possibilities to what may have happen.