4.3 running great, now no idle

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice
Background: I've got a 95 4.3 Mercruiser with an Alpha 1 outdrive. Holley 4 barrel carb. Oil pressure sensor switch is bypassed from previous owner. Fuel pump runs anytime key is on. Boat was hydrolocked when I put in this past weekend so I pulled plugs, blew out water. Three of the plugs were cracked in the ceramic, one into pieces. Put new plugs in and she ran great. Idled flawlessly and ran great up on plane. Problem: Until the end of the day when I came down off plane and was idling in. She died. First time she's sputtered out since I've had her. Fires right up and can hold her at 1500 rpms with throttle but as soon as I don't apply throttle she dies. Just loaded on trailer since it was pull out time anyways but now I need to figure out the idle situation before the next outing. Where do I start with troubleshooting idle?

Additional questions, how the heck could I have cracked three plugs? Could the thud of it being hydrolocked have done it? I know the hydrolocking is probably being caused by water sitting in the exhaust risers from the previous outing leaking down into the cylinders during the week through rust weakened areas. Exhaust risers are in the future for this boat.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4.3 running great, now no idle

water leaking into the cylinders comes to mind.Why dont you atleast check by pulling the risers off and looking.