fuel injected sea ray 2001

richvan

Cadet
I have a 28ft sundancer 2001 with 6 cyl 4.3 and port engine is getting into the oil. I had a boat guy look at it and he said the engine would need to be replaced. I am wondering if it could be a injector or fuel pump problem.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: fuel injected sea ray 2001

Please be more specific. What do you mean by 'getting into the oil'? What sort of 'boat guy'? How did he come to the conclusion that the engine needs to be replaced? For what reason?

Chris.....

richvan

Cadet

The boat mechanic said the engine was shot, but I found out that if I change the oil the engine will run good for a while. I also talked to anothrt boat mechanic and he said a injector may be bad or the fuel pump may be bad. Motor only has 175 hrs on it

achris

I asked 3 questions (silly me, I should have used 3 posts), but you still managed to answer none.

Again....

1. What do you mean by 'getting into the oil'? (Oil should be in the engine, not the engine in oil).
2. What sort of 'boat guy'?
3. How did he come to the conclusion that the engine needs to be replaced? For what reason?

If you mean, the engine is using/burning oil, then a bad injector or fuel pump CAN NOT cause that. Only bad piston rings or valve guides can do that. Neither of which would necessitate an engine replacement.

You need to do a cylinder leak-down test, and run a vacuum gauge to check for worn valve guides.

I'll run the risk of asking another couple of questions.

4. What instruments did these mechanics put on the engine? Given it's an MPI I would, at the very LEAST, expected a scan tool or a laptop with diagnostic software. Either of those would have picked up a bad injector.
5. How is the engine running? Has it lost power, does it idle badly?

Chris......
BTW, Welcome to iBoats.

Last edited:

richvan

Cadet

What I ment to say is gas is getting into the oil. So the longer you run the more gas is in the oil pan

richvan

Cadet

The mechanic did not put any scan tool on the engine. He just listened to the engine annd csme to the conclusion that the rings were bad - BTW thanks

cdiamond

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The mechanic did not put any scan tool on the engine. He just listened to the engine annd csme to the conclusion that the rings were bad - BTW thanks

can't really argue with that logic :)

richvan

Cadet

Cdiamand are you saying the motor needs to be replaced

richvan

Cadet

One car mechanic said that if I was getting too much fuel it could pass by the rings into the oil

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

mixing gas and oil is never good.might even blow off the valve covers some day.The explosion is quite loud too.
Your fuel injected, so you have an electric pump not connected to the engine internals, so no gas can go from the fuel pump into the engine.More likely you have a stuck open injector.Injectors are easy to remove and have checked.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

mixing gas and oil is never good.might even blow off the valve covers some day.The explosion is quite loud too.
Your fuel injected, so you have an electric pump not connected to the engine internals, so no gas can go from the fuel pump into the engine.More likely you have a stuck open injector.Injectors are easy to remove and have checked.
And I might add, please look for a new mechanic. There is no way you need to replace that engine.

Maclin

Admiral

2 words....

Compression Check
then
Leakdown test

Ok, 6 :)

Perform compression check. Then if low perform leakdown test on cylinders showing low. Any discussion before these tests are performed is total speculation.

Fun Times

Staff member

cdiamond are you saying the motor needs to be replaced
cdiamond appears to be kidding around because I know he knows that it is way to soon to condemn the engine just because someone listened to the engine and quickly came to the conclusion that the rings were bad with out any real testing to be sure.;):)

Last edited:

achris

What I ment to say is gas is getting into the oil. So the longer you run the more gas is in the oil pan

Thank you clearing that up. I was completely off base (which is why I asked for clarification)...

The mechanic did not put any scan tool on the engine. He just listened to the engine and came to the conclusion that the rings were bad - BTW thanks

Wish my crystal ball was that good... :facepalm:

can't really argue with that logic :)

Yeah, sounds more like a salesman after a sale than a mechanic.

One car mechanic said that if I was getting too much fuel it could pass by the rings into the oil

Poppy-****! Pull the plugs and have a look at them. If one is sooty black, then it MIGHT be that injector. Oh, we didn't ask... MPI or TBI????

And I might add, please look for a new mechanic. There is no way you need to replace that engine.

Completely agree... (see my statement above about a sale)...

cdiamond appears to be kidding around because I know he knows that it is way to soon to condemn the engine just because someone listened to the engine and quickly came to the conclusion that the rings were bad with out any real testing to be sure.;):)

Yeah, agree again, needs way more testing before condemning the engine. Find someone who knows what they are talking about, and are not just after selling a new engine....

Chris........

cdiamond

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OF COURSE i was kidding

there is NOBODY that can just 'listen' to your engine and determine

exactly what is going on INSIDE

no disrespect intended .. but i would, at the very least, have a qualified MARINE TECHNICIAN

spend some time to diagnosis your situation

when i'm going to spend someone's money

my motto is -- the more costly the remedy - the more thorough the analysis

cdiamond

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mister richvan;

i strongly urge you , to no longer run this engine and have a qualified tech. evaluate your problem

as stated previously, but perhaps not in terms you understand completely

you are dealing with a VERY DANGEROUS situation

to continue to run this engine could result in an injury to yourself or others

i don't know how to state this more strongly !!

achris

Mister richvan;

i strongly urge you , to no longer run this engine and have a qualified tech. evaluate your problem

as stated previously, but perhaps not in terms you understand completely

you are dealing with a VERY DANGEROUS situation

to continue to run this engine could result in an injury to yourself or others

i don't know how to state this more strongly !!

How about like this.....

DON'T RUN THE BOAT, IT MIGHT EXPLODE!!!