1977 Evinrude 70 hp good motor? Problems? Enough Power?

Mercnewguy

Seaman
I'm putting together a little project boat, 18' Ranger bass boat. I'm on a budget and have been looking in the classifieds for used motors and have found a 1977 70 hp evinrude that seems to have been well maintained. Is this going to be enough power for this boat? Is this a decent motor or does it have any known problems? Lastly this boat had a mercury motor on it before and has a quicksilver throttle control installed with steering cables set up for the mercury. Is it going to be difficult to convert this boat to accept an evinrude? Thanks again for your opinions and help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1977 Evinrude 70 hp good motor? Problems? Enough Power?

For a Ranger hull that would be absolute MINIMUM power. The 70 is a great motor but the ranger's usually fly along with a 150 on the transom.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the max HP rating on the boat??

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

You'll need OMC controls and cables that are set up for pre 1979 so the cables connections all match up.

Mercnewguy

Seaman

Thanks everybody for your comments. I just bought this little boat used so I don't have a manual or know that much about it. Its a 1982 ranger 18', thats about all I know. Just trying to get a little set up to take the family fishing on the lake, doesn't need to be super high performance. How much do you think a 1977 Evinrude 70 Horse motor is worth? Also my father has an old 1971 Johnson 125 that is in very "unknown" running condition. I called around and all the mechanics in my area simply will not work on motors older than 1980. Would it be worth it to try and resurrect that old 125 or should I sell it and put that money towards a newer motor? How much would it be worth? Again, thanks for all your help. As you can see I'm pretty new to the boating world so all your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: