Power Steering Cylinder Replacment

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a post earlier in the week regarding replacement of a power steering cylinder from Teleflex. I received the cylinder, filler kit, and the oil is on its way. One thing I am confused about is purging the system. It seems as if the directions are written for a "brand new" install, where there is currently NO oil in the system. I am replacing a failed unit, so there is fluid in the helm and in the lines.

My question, is that anybody that is familiar with this, do I need to purge all the old fluid out, and make sure only new fluid is in the lines?

An example of the instructions for install listed here:

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/343322B2.pdf

Help please!

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Power Steering Cylinder Replacment

You only need to purge the old fluid if it is contaminated.

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How will I know if it is contaminated? The boat is 20 years old and this cylinder has never been replaced, so its the same fluid thats been in there for that long.

Fun Times

Staff member

And if the old fluid is still good then you're still going to have to add some additional new fluid to bleed out any air within the system and of course as you know to fill the new power steering cylinder.:)

Good luck with it.:)

How will I know if it is contaminated? The boat is 20 years old and this cylinder has never been replaced, so its the same fluid that's been in there for that long.
Typically that oil does not get all that contaminated.

But since the oil is that old now and you are in there working on it and the bleeding procedure is the same whether it's new or not, why not get an extra couple of bottles of fluid and go all new.

Last edited:

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I did see a You Tube video by SeaStar Solutions on doing this, I was just unsure if I had to bleed out ALL that old fluid since its 20 years old. I'm not sure if its contaminated or not, and I have no idea how to tell?