Evinrude strange issue, cant pull the cord when plugs are in, plugs out its easy ????

KCKracker

Petty Officer 1st Class
blue lid evinrude 30 hp

ok let me elaborate. buddy brings me his motor and says he was cruising along and then it made a noise, looked back, saw some smoke and he shut it down. then its dead.

i immediately see a few slightly melted spots on his wore shielding so i pull the flywheel, i find the power charge coil is partially melted.

ok, so this thing had to have gotten hot. he said it was peeing water so maybe the T stat is stuck.

Issue: with the spark plugs in you can BARELY pull the cord, plugs out its easy. This started as soon as the other issue. i dont understand is there a compression bypass or something that could be stuck? i dont get why this is happening.

BASSBOAT21

Banned
Re: Evinrude strange issue, cant pull the cord when plugs are in, plugs out its easy

Check timing key and timing-----sounds like somethings off in that area

KCKracker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude strange issue, cant pull the cord when plugs are in, plugs out its easy

when i pulled the flywheel the key was in tact. i just reassembled with the power charge coil out to test it, same thing easy to pull, but when i put the plugs back in its nearly impossible, can only pull it out 2-3" at a time its very hard and im not a small guy lol.

BASSBOAT21

Banned

If timing is alright and key is tight not loose than u will need to pull heads and look at pistons might want to check compression before removing covers that might tell u something there

AlTn

Commander

have the gaps on the sparkplugs been beaten closed?

KCKracker

Petty Officer 1st Class

no on the plugs,

bassboat the timing should not be far enough off to cause this type of an issue if the key is ok correct? canhy check compression if the cord cannot be pulled out :D

BASSBOAT21

Banned

Take head off look at cylinder walls