Inner wheel bearing race install

potminer

Cadet
I'm looking for a little advice on how to install inner bearing race once old race removed. Biggest challenge is how to get new race started with hub collar in way. Any advise is appreciated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Inner wheel bearing race install

Put the races in the freezer the night before as well as buying what Jeep posted.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

By hub collar are you meaning the seal? I always use the old race and tap with a hammer to seat the new race.

gdeangel

Seaman

You can get the driver tool from Oriely's or other auto parts chain that has a loaner tool program.

I also can't quite visualize what you mean by "hub collar". The inner bearing pops out the back after you remove the seal, then goes in before you put the seal back in. The inner races on my trailer at least are smaller OD than the rear seal, so you set it in (I suspect the offset where the seal fits is what your calling the "collar"). You need to pound on it with something smaller than the OD than the seal, but about the same OD as the race itself. Either the tool or the old race will work, but if you do use the old race, be sure to put it in with the thick side into the hub, so you have a lip to knock it back out with after your new race is fully seated.

You can also use a large socket: Asian Bass Guy UFP DB-42 removal and install of race, bearing, and seal - YouTube @ 7:30

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The Harbor Freight tool is the way to go. For $30 you can't go wrong. Makes installing them a snap.