Adding power to my Mercruizer Alpha 1 3.0L

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there any way possible to add power to my engine???
Without replacing it.
I would love more power!!

I just want to get all of the power out of it as possible.
Ignition is points - not electronic...
Could something with the carb be done??

Thanks
Darrin

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Adding power to my Mercruizer Alpha 1 3.0L

Ayuh,... Ya get the same answer as Right Here,...

oldjeep

Admiral

Nope, everyone who has owned a 3.0L eventually asks themselves the same question and there isn't a way to add any more power to the engine. If anyone ever figures out a reliable way to do it, they will become a billionaire ;)

cptbraine40

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nope, you are stuck at 135hp. If you look at the Mercruisr 3.0 with MPI you will see that you are stuck at 135hp. I am in the same situation you are. I am pretty happy with what I have but would really like to have more power. I am looking at either swapping my 3.0 for a 4.3 but I am not sure yet if the cost would be worth it.

Make sure that your engine is tuned up well and the carb is perfect. After that look at props. I have a 4 blade 19pitch that I can hit about 38mph (GPS) with good holeshot or hit about 43mph with a 3 blade 21pitch. I have learned (from the fine folks here on Iboats) that a good running engine and the right prop can make a HUGE difference

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You could always approach it from the other angle and lighten the load. Only carry skinny people and tear out all the seats :rolleyes:

oldjeep

Admiral

You could always approach it from the other angle and lighten the load. Only carry skinny people and tear out all the seats :rolleyes:

Doesn't help, my family is about as skinny as they come ;)

agallant80

Commander

+1 for the prop. For $110 you can add top end speed or add hole shot.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Nope, you are stuck at 135hp. If you look at the Mercruisr 3.0 with MPI you will see that you are stuck at 135hp. I am in the same situation you are. I am pretty happy with what I have but would really like to have more power. I am looking at either swapping my 3.0 for a 4.3 but I am not sure yet if the cost would be worth it.

Make sure that your engine is tuned up well and the carb is perfect. After that look at props. I have a 4 blade 19pitch that I can hit about 38mph (GPS) with good holeshot or hit about 43mph with a 3 blade 21pitch. I have learned (from the fine folks here on Iboats) that a good running engine and the right prop can make a HUGE difference

I'll add to this that you MUST keep the Wide Open Throttle revs in the recommended range of 4200 to 4600. My preference is towards the top end of that range, 4400-4600 for me. Too much prop (too low WOT revs) and the engine will lug, causing piston detonation. Too little prop (high revs) will cause a loss of power as the engine goes over the back of the power curve.

Chris.......