1979 115 Johnson Starting Problem

Alpinegold

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This old motor has given me great service for many years. Unfortunately it sat up for the last year and I cannot get it to start. When I try to start it, it starts and runs for a few seconds and dies. I've tried raping up the rpms when it starts but it still dies. I have put a new starting battery on it, checked and cleaned the spark plugs and have sprayed Sea Foam in the carbs but this has not worked. I'm using a hot foot on it. I have a Clymer Shop manual for it but I don't know where to start as I have never had a problem starting it in the past.

You guys have helped me in the past and I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Alpinegold

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1979 115 Johnson Starting Problem

Have you cleaned/serviced/rebuilt the carbs? Have you checked the fuel bowls to make sure they are filling? The fuel pump diaphram could be shot. Sounds just like a fuel problem and the "storage" took it's toll

Spraying seafoam into the carbs does not clean out the float needle or the jets

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Is the choke working? It's a bear to start without a functional choke. You'll have to visually check to see if the plates close fully when the choke solenoid is activated.

Alpinegold

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I have a friend who is a mechanic coming out after work today to see if we can identify the problem. I will let you know what is going on.