85 Johnson 115 hp Leaking gear oil inside prop housing

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice
I just tested with soapy water and a radiator pump, the gear case which would only hold about 4lbs of pressure before bubbles started coming from the area on the outside of the 4 bolts in the prop housing. Looking inside from the rear the prop seal itself looks good. Its like the bearing carrier is leaking down in the bottom and not where the bolts attach.. "Do I have a major problem?" Just bought the set up and haven't had it in the water other than running the engine.. A seal or crack? :confused:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 Johnson 115 hp Leaking gear oil inside prop housing

Sounds like the o-rings are leaking around the prop shaft bearing carrier. The carrier will have to be pulled and the o-rings replaced and sealed.

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice

That sounds like something POSITIVE ... I didn't know if there was an O ring, gasket, or it was just cracked. I don't want to waste funds on something just to have to toss it in the scrap. Thanks boobie..
Sounds like the o-rings are leaking around the prop shaft bearing carrier. The carrier will have to be pulled and the o-rings replaced and sealed.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Please stick to one post as it's less confusing !! Thank you.

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice

You were right boobie. the o-ring was flattened, and looked to have been reused several times. now I have a new problem with a pin that I found on the table. Its in another thread. Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No problem.........