Floor screw up?

ddoty

Cadet
I just bought a 99 Glastron GS160 and it was supposed to have 1 small soft spot in the floor, but you can probably guess how that turned out. Most of the wood pulled up with the carpet and what was left was a sponge. I got all of the old flooring out, cut marine grade half inch plywood to fit, put 2 coats of resin on the bottom side and edges. I let that cure out then prepped the stringers (foam filled fiberglass) then put on a generous amount of resin on top and laid down the floor and stapled it down. After that I used 2 layers of coarse mat and resin around the edges. I hope this is ok so far because I really don't want to take it back out. Next I plan on putting a coat of resin on the top and cover that with fiberglass cloth and more resin. Is this an acceptable method? I did it this way because it appeared to be done like this originally. Evidentally the boat was not cared for at all.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Floor screw up?

by the sounds of it, YES you did a good job. I would have used Stainless Steel screws though, not staples. How after 6 years your floor rotted out, i have no idea. Im sure the original floor was not sealed well enough.<br /><br />cheers

ddoty

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply! All I know is that the boat had to have been full of water. It was still wet when I took it apart. Almost like it was stored uncovered, with the bow down, and the bilge plug in. Thanks again!

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

yep, that'll prolly do it. best of luck with it anyway. Can you post some pics if you have any?<br /><br />cheers

I would have thought that a 99 would be all fiberglass or at least the floor would be. I guess Glastron didnt start that until later.