sensor coil test (confused)

gordwa

Seaman Apprentice
Hello..I have a 1990 90 hp johnson that has a misfire around 1000 rpm thru 1300..Plus it can be hard starting sob.It starts best on realy high idle.I have been thru the carbs 3 times and have really got it to run much better than when i first got it.Its a used engin with 120 psi on all 4.new coils fuel pump and power pack.Now i was testing the charging and timing system and when testing the senser coil with the ohm meter the first test says meter must show 40 +- 10 ohms, mine is at 42 ohms.then the second test for a grounded condition says meter must show a high reading.If meter shows a low reading then u must locate and repair or replace.I get absolutly no reading on my meter is that what im looking for zero????? i was looking for something in the hundreds but im not the smartest dude when it comes to certain things....
Thanks for any imput

Re: sensor coil test (confused)

all meters are different. High ohms will be the same reading as when the probes are touching nothing. A low reading is when you touch the probes together.

Randy000

Seaman
Re: sensor coil test (confused)

Your meter most likely reads OL if its digital meaning open line, which means no continuity to ground ( engine block ) Take your two probes and hold them out away from each other touching nothing, whatever your meter says is what you want that coil to ground to read.