OMC Stringer Drive model number final gear ratio question

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1976 Reinell 26' full cabin cruiser with twin 175hp 302's with electro shift. One out drive is bad (frozen pretty bad) so the owner before me picked up a donor drive. My question is I can't find any reference to the outdrive stringer part numbers. Only the ones on the motors come up.

Can someone tell me what year and gear ratio part #982141 is. This one has a spur gear for turning so I'm sure it was on a smaller boat.

This boat has dual station hydraulic steering and with the ram under the seat behind the inside helm. So I know I will at least need to remove the spur gear.

I measured the drives upper and both were I wanna say 14" or at least the same so I don't think I have short

The stringers on the boat our part number #981059 and they match

The engines are 90229M and they match.

So can I use the donor drive? Will my final gearing be on assuming the same pitch prop? Or if it's different could I use a different pitch prop to compensate?

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Sterndrive part number cross reference.......gear ratios with donor Stringer driv

Re: Sterndrive part number cross reference.......gear ratios with donor Stringer driv

Bumping this as I got no help....

southkogs

Staff member

Is there a rating on the donor drive for HP? I've never heard an identifier besides that on the Electric Shift units.

Typically on the Electric Shift I've always identified mine against the number on the engine itself.

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a couple of references that indicate 982141 is a late 70's drive that was mated to a 5.7L Chevy. If that is true then the upper will be a 21:16 ratio and your existing 175hp will have a 21:19 upper so, no, it won't work. The 21:19 was also used with the 165hp and 190hp.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

Well I'm getting back into this project a little bit and came across another donor outdrive. I don't have a part number for this one yet but it was from an OMC 5.7 so if this holds true from what VE8EV came up with more than likely it will be in the same ratio of 21:16. I wonder if they varied the ratios for boat weight and size. In other words my new drive that I cam across came off a similar Reinell Cabin cruiser although single engine 5.7 OMC. I wonder if this can be compensated with in prop if I was to run the two different ratio units? I also wonder about if this new drive matched my existing donor then maybe I can just go with both donor drives and deal with the lower overall gearing. Any thoughts? I will try and get the new drive model number to see what I dealing with this next week.

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice
OMC Stringer Drive model number final gear ratio question

I'm looking at picking up a donor drive for a project boat I have. I asked a similar question in a previous post with another donor drive I have.

I found a donor drive on CL with the model number 981231 came off of a 1979 26' Reinell Cabin Cruiser. This was a single engine with a 5.7lt OMC.

I'm looking to mate it as a 2nd drive on a twin engine 1976 24' Reinell Cabin Cruiser with 175hp. With engine model number: 990229M and factory stringer drive 981059. I believe according to VE8EV in my other post these factory stringers were geared at 21:19

In my other post I had another donor drive that is a 982141. Which VE8EV said was a late 70's mated to a 5.7 with a gear ratio 21:16

So, based on this information if OMC didn't have any differences based on the boat but in engine size. The second CL drive (that I am looking to purchase) would have the same gear ratio. Can anyone confirm this for me? I think if I take off the factory one and use the 2 donor drives this would be lower overall gearing which might work better anyways or I go to higher pitched props.

Thanks,
Mitch

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

I posted this is another new thread but wanted to update this one as well. Looking for feedback. See below. Thx Mitch

I'm looking at picking up a donor drive for a project boat I have. I asked a similar question in a previous post with another donor drive I have.

I found a donor drive on CL with the model number 981231 came off of a 1979 26' Reinell Cabin Cruiser. This was a single engine with a 5.7lt OMC.

I'm looking to mate it as a 2nd drive on a twin engine 1976 24' Reinell Cabin Cruiser with 175hp. With engine model number: 990229M and factory stringer drive 981059. I believe according to VE8EV in my other post these factory stringers were geared at 21:19

In my other post I had another donor drive that is a 982141. Which VE8EV said was a late 70's mated to a 5.7 with a gear ratio 21:16

So, based on this information if OMC didn't have any differences based on the boat but in engine size. The second CL drive (that I am looking to purchase) would have the same gear ratio. Can anyone confirm this for me? I think if I take off the factory one and use the 2 donor drives this would be lower overall gearing which might work better anyways or I go to higher pitched props.

Thanks,
Mitch

southkogs

Staff member
Re: OMC Stringer Drive model number final gear ratio question

'76 should be an electric shift and '79 should be a hydro-mechanical shift. I don't think they'll interchange unless you convert your entire system over.

Not sure about the gear ratios though.

southkogs

Staff member

From the other thread:

'76 should be an electric shift and '79 should be a hydro-mechanical shift. I don't think they'll interchange unless you convert your entire system over.

Not sure about the gear ratios though.

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback. I am positive its an electric shift. I think the guy has the wrong year on the boat. I really wish I could come across something that identifies the drive model number to engine part number/year. Of course the final gearing specs would be great too. The guy doesn't have the engine so I don't know that part number.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: OMC Stringer Drive model number final gear ratio question

I think it's mostly denoted by the HP. There's some info HERE that gives you numbers, but not necessarily model numbers.

If the other drive is a 175HP Electric shift, you should be fine.