omc 3.8

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Hi folks, I'm interested in buying another boat. Possibly looking at a 19' wellcraft with a omc 3.8 and cobra outdrive. Can anyone tell me what they think about the motor and outdrive?

TY, Dave

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: omc 3.8

My apologies! The guy has it listed as a 3.8 but doing a quick search, it must be a 3.0. With that said, does anyone have anything on this set up?

Bondo

Staff member

My apologies! The guy has it listed as a 3.8 but doing a quick search, it must be a 3.0. With that said, does anyone have anything on this set up?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... The 3.0l is a solid ole Chevy that's been in production nearly 50 years,...

The draw-back is it's saddled with OMC components,...

OMC went Outa business over a decade ago now,...

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

OMC is out of business and parts and services for them will be harder and harder to come by. They went out of business about 98-99. The only OMC, personally, I would consider buying would be 94 and later. These were actually a partnership drive with Volvo Penta and basically everything is interchangeable with Volvo Penta.

Now threre are a lot of people still running OMC's and will be for years, but I personally wouldn't go out and buy one.

That's just my two cents.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

TY Gentleman! I may still look at the boat, it appears to be a good deal, but have to wait and see that myself.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Find out the year of boat/drive, and take a picture of it. If it's a Cobra SX drive with the 'hump' on top of the drive, it's basically a VP and they are excellent drives.

Actually that's what I have. An OMC that was manufactured in 95, and I my service manual is a volvo penta.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

Okay thx. I'll try and post the craigslist pic. If not I'll take pics when I see the boat.