MerCruiser 454 Chevy 7.4L Bravo I Vibration at Idle

pete059

Recruit
Just purchased a sweet speed boat, the ELIMINATOR 234 Edge Powered by a MerCruiser 454BBC 7.4L (Chevy) & BRAVO-1 Outdrive that had vibration problem at idle. After pulling the front engine mounts shown below on the left (MerCruiser part number 814263 or 66284), I noticed that there was not much rubber to isolate any engine vibration from the hull. Being an engineer, I started looking into options to provide better isolation and talked to an engineer that used to work at the Stillwater OK facility. This engineer steered me to a mount that was used years ago called a Cushyfloat shown below on the right. I found the engine mount on the internet and it made a night and day difference. Apparently MerCruiser quit using these Cushyfloats because they were hard to get and more expensive. If you’re having any vibration issues, let me know and I can point you in the right direction. I did have to slot the bottom of the Cushyfloat to get it to line up on the hull.
Merc.jpg

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: MerCruiser 454 Chevy 7.4L Bravo I Vibration at Idle

Thank you for your helpful, informative post, I am sure it will be able to help others in the future.:)

Bondo

Staff member

Just purchased a sweet speed boat, the ELIMINATOR 234 Edge Powered by a MerCruiser 454BBC 7.4L (Chevy) & BRAVO-1 Outdrive that had vibration problem at idle. After pulling the front engine mounts shown below on the left (MerCruiser part number 814263 or 66284), I noticed that there was not much rubber to isolate any engine vibration from the hull. Being an engineer, I started looking into options to provide better isolation and talked to an engineer that used to work at the Stillwater OK facility. This engineer steered me to a mount that was used years ago called a Cushyfloat shown below on the right. I found the engine mount on the internet and it made a night and day difference. Apparently MerCruiser quit using these Cushyfloats because they were hard to get and more expensive. If you’re having any vibration issues, let me know and I can point you in the right direction. I did have to slot the bottom of the Cushyfloat to get it to line up on the hull.
View attachment 205461

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... I've seen a few styles over the years, but not those,...

Ya Did re-align the motor, right,..??

pete059

Recruit

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... I've seen a few styles over the years, but not those,...

Ya Did re-align the motor, right,..??

Thanks and Absolutely on the re-aligning of the motor. The part number for the Cushyfloat I used was 17-1609 with a 20mm stud. More info on them at Home - Mission Sales and Supply. They were very helpful in picking the right mount.

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What durometer rating did the company recommend for your application, two digit number after the 1609? That mount part # comes in 5 different grades.

pete059

Recruit

What durometer rating did the company recommend for your application, two digit number after the 1609? That mount part # comes in 5 different grades.

I used a 70 durometer.