Not getting out of the hole

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1998 mercuries 350 EFI MPI
Engine Serial OL067176
Sterndrive OL153367

the boat sounds great it runs good at low speed however this weekend I had two extra small people on the boat and it would not get out of the hole. when it was at full throttle it felt like it was only at 1/2 throttle. could it be the fuel pump not keeping up the pressure? if so, is there a how to test it on this site? thank you in advance

Claudio

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Not getting out of the hole

Engine Serial OL067176
Sterndrive OL153367

the boat sounds great it runs good at low speed however this weekend I had two extra small people on the boat and it would not get out of the hole. when it was at full throttle it felt like it was only at 1/2 throttle. could it be the fuel pump not keeping up the pressure? if so, is there a how to test it on this site? thank you in advance

Claudio

Ayuh,... 1st thing to do is Check the Contents of the fuel filter for water, 'n crud,...

just to see what yer dealin' with,...

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you Bond. I will do that. assuming there's no water in the filter, can I re-use it or should I install a new filter?

Claudio

alldodge

Staff member

Engine Serial OL067176
Sterndrive OL153367

Claudio

If this is the first time the boat has done it and nothing else has changed (no extra loads put in the boat in comparments) then agree with Bond-o. If this has happened before I would have a couple more questions. To test the fuel pressure there is a sharder valve on the port side front of the fuel rail with a cap on it. Remove the cap and put a pressure gauge on the valve, it should be about 38 psi.

I would always replace the filter, that is unless you just put it on this season and found nothing wrong with it.