Torqeedo Solar Panel alternative?

jkru

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was about to buy a solar panel add on for my dinghy from torqeedo and then I found out it was 1,000 bucks which seems like a rip off. Anyone used this panel or used an alternative that worked well?

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Torqeedo Solar Panel alternative?

How many watts?

What are your plans for this solar panel?

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I just added a 15 watt panel to mine as a trickle charger and 15 watts is about 1.25 amps and that's about nothing for 60.000. Solar panels are expensive depending on the watts.

Last edited:

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Will all of you star gazers please take a home study science course. It takes more power than a small panel will produce!!! You must have 14 vdc to top off any 12.6 battery and a deep cycle is even worse. If you don't fully recharge a battery you will kill battery life and actual output. Coal charges batteries much faster!!!!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I just added a 15 watt panel to mine as a trickle charger and 15 watts is about 1.25 amps and that's about nothing for 60.000. Solar panels are expensive depending on the watts.
Probably a lot less. Most of these solar panels are rated at full open circuit voltage of over 17VDC. Going to be less than 1 amp.

jkru

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will all of you star gazers please take a home study science course. It takes more power than a small panel will produce!!! You must have 14 vdc to top off any 12.6 battery and a deep cycle is even worse. If you don't fully recharge a battery you will kill battery life and actual output. Coal charges batteries much faster!!!!!

Do you happen to have the wiring diagram handy for that coal? :D

The manual says as follows:

Rated voltage 24 V
Maximum idle voltage 58 V
Maximum power 4 A

The panel that torqeedo sells is 45watt folding. So at 24volts that would be 1.8 amps or so? That seems like a reasonable charge rate to extend some range but its just that they want 1K for the charger I am better off with a second battery.

Was hoping that there was a cheaper panel.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That would be pretty much worthless. It would take you nearly 2 weeks to charge you batteries.

jkru

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That would be pretty much worthless. It would take you nearly 2 weeks to charge you batteries.

Not two weeks, it is a 18 Ah battery it would take 10 hours at a sustained 45 watts by my calculation

Basically 45watts/24v = 1.8 amp 'ish. 18ah/1.8amp gives you 10 hours.

This would be good enough to extend your range for the day depending on your usage.

Anyways any cheaper panels out there that anyone knows of? I would like one that is flexible.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

18Ah battery? A normal 27 series battery is 100Ah.

10 hours of sunlight is 2 days of charging depending on the time of year and latitude.

So this isn't a regular trolling motor is it?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So I just read up a little on this Torqeedo. Interesting product.

The motor uses Lithium Manganese batteries and that is probably why the solar panel is so expensive. Its the charging circuitry where the cost is.

jkru

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The charge circuit is built into the battery already.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The charge circuit is built into the battery already.
Does it already have a separate input for the solar charger?

Personally, I wouldn't bother but I guess it depends on how you use your dinghy. Can't you charge the battery on your main boat way faster? Do you cruise and this is the dinghy for your main boat?

jkru

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does it already have a separate input for the solar charger?

Personally, I wouldn't bother but I guess it depends on how you use your dinghy. Can't you charge the battery on your main boat way faster? Do you cruise and this is the dinghy for your main boat?

Yes I can charge at the main boat just wanted to extend range. It does have a charge port which is for the ac adapter, 12 volt adapter and solar panel.

My major issue is size I would get a outboard but it needs to be less than 13.5 inches in width like my old evinrude and i have yet to find one. The suzuki f4 might be small but no suzuki dealer in my area. It needs to fit in my transom compartment.

Nich_Morison

Recruit

I was about to buy a solar panel add on for my dinghy from torqeedo and then I found out it was 1,000 bucks which seems like a rip off. Anyone used this panel or used an alternative that worked well?

Thanks

I just purchased the Torqeedo Cruise4 for my AB 9.6foot inflatable with two Lithium 106-24 batteries; to charge it I opted for Italian Solbian from E marine flex 137watt x3 panels that's 24v 5.7amps each 60"x22" on 1" square tube frame each hinged together so using dinghy you have one panel when stopped you fold out to use 3 panels. These are the best but expensive, there is a 100w alternative using MSB Panels from Canada 416.659.5460, either way each panel needs a controller Genasun GV-Boost charge controller with MPPT to interface with the lithium batteries; ultimately with the flex137x3 you have 400 watts on a sunny day should recharge all your dinghy travel needs as most the time it's short hauls.

UncleWillie

Captain

Not two weeks, it is a 18 Ah battery it would take 10 hours at a sustained 45 watts by my calculation
Basically 45watts/24v = 1.8 amp 'ish. 18ah/1.8amp gives you 10 hours...

Assuming an 18 AH Battery. (Typical Small Motorcycle battery.)
It would power a very small 20# trolling motor for less than an hour.

10 hours of solar charging requires 10 hours of blue sky, noon day Sun.
If you can get 5 hours a day of equivalent noon Sun, you could charge it in two days.
If it is cloudy that day, all bets are off.
Redmond, WA is not exactly the land of the midnight Sun! ;)

UncleWillie

Captain

I just purchased the Torqeedo Cruise4 for my AB 9.6foot inflatable with two Lithium 106-24 batteries; to charge it I opted for Italian Solbian from E marine flex 137watt x3 panels that's 24v 5.7amps each 60"x22" on 1" square tube frame each hinged together so using dinghy you have one panel when stopped you fold out to use 3 panels. These are the best but expensive, there is a 100w alternative using MSB Panels from Canada 416.659.5460, either way each panel needs a controller Genasun GV-Boost charge controller with MPPT to interface with the lithium batteries; ultimately with the flex137x3 you have 400 watts on a sunny day should recharge all your dinghy travel needs as most the time it's short hauls.

You have 3 5'x2' panels on a 9.6 ft boat!
That is a 5'x6' panel when opened up!
Where do you store them? Picture?

With a 400 watt panel bank, a full charge of the 2500 watt battery bank will still take more than one day.
Assuming short trips and an area where you are way far off the grid, it might make sense.