"Tiny Tach" on larger outboards

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: "Tiny Tach" on larger outboards

Sure it will work. They don't care what size the motor is.

Fed

Commander

I've heard of people having problems with tiny tach knock offs, might be worth considering buying a real tiny tach instead.

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. I have limited dash space on my Starcraft Super Sport and would like a tachometer but they all come in 3". I have searched for a multi-guage speedo/tach combo to save space but have not been able to find such a beast. I don't have the $ to pop on a GPS for the boat so this seems like a good solution to my problem of saving space and desire for a tach.

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I ordered a Works Connection tachometer. It should arrive in a few days. After I hook it up and try it out on the lake I will post back here and give a product review based on how it works on my outboard.

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I ordered a Works Connection tachometer. It should arrive in a few days. After I hook it up and try it out on the lake I will post back here and give a product review based on how it works on my outboard.

Looking forward to your review.
Thanks
Rob

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. I have limited dash space on my Starcraft Super Sport and would like a tachometer but they all come in 3". I have searched for a multi-guage speedo/tach combo to save space but have not been able to find such a beast. I don't have the $ to pop on a GPS for the boat so this seems like a good solution to my problem of saving space and desire for a tach.

How is a GPS unit going to give you engine RPM's?

I installed a Tinny Tach on my Honda 25hp 4 stroke, works well. Allso has a hour meter. ( Still not comfortable with the whole non-replaceble battery thing, but what are ya gonna do?)

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wild Dog - I was hoping to find a combination gauge that had both speed and tach and save room on my dash. The GPS Fish/depth finder would be a separate deal. Those nifty GPS fish/depth finders show mph then would have room for a 2.5" tach on my little dash. As it turns out I got a free GPS app for my LG mobile phone that I tested with good results against another boat with a speedometer. With this Works Connection tach I hope to put a 2"x1" functional tachometer on my dash and have all things licked.

0716131015.jpg

The Works Connection tach/hour meter does have a replaceable battery but was $40 so a bit more money than the Tiny Tach. Did you run extra wire from the tach forward or do you have the digital read out close to the engine?

WKS-HOUR-KIT_is.jpg

Last edited:

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did not have time to set up the tach and run the boat this week or weekend. I put earmuffs on a played with the tach in the driveway.
0810131448.jpg

It does not have a long lead so I put the tach on to the plug wire as it came out of the package. Got a idle rpm read, then I twisted a thin gauge speaker wire on on the red sensor wire and got the same rpm readings (you can see what I did in the picture).

Accuracy? I have no idea - I got readings with a no-load idle of 1800-2100 rpm with either set up. I do not know if this is where my engine will run in the drive without the back pressure of the water on the exhaust.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Hopefully your idle isn't anywhere near that high. Should be 1200 or so tops,cold, with no load. My tiny tach had a special shielded coax wire so that it doesnt pick up any interference. The wire setup that is on your rig seems less than stellar compared to the tiny tachs setup. Also, make sure that your tach is set up for 1 spark per revolution (it should have a way to set it).

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks sutor. I will check out the tach set up soon. I have to figure out my loss of power at WOT at towing and full boat loads. I hope this will help me figure out the puzzle. Engine goes along well at idle to 60-75% of throttle for long stretch but if I boost it past that threshold it will seem to get fuel starved and run rough.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you just need to slap a fuel pump on her. Rebuild kits for that motors fuel pump is $12. Easy project.

Fed

Commander

If you have to extend the cable you need to join the copper part of the wires (solder), I'm amazed it works the way you have it now.

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you just need to slap a fuel pump on her. Rebuild kits for that motors fuel pump is $12. Easy project.

Thanks for the input Sutor. That's what I figured I would have to do based on the stuff I read in the Evinrude forums here. I have never messed with carbs before and will be sure to read the stickies forwards and backwards before I jump in the project. I would love to get a Evinrude manual with information limited for my 1989 50 but it has proven tough to find. I'm not even sure if Evinrude even published such a thing or if the stuff I have found through this forum is all that is available. I have a Seloc and has been helpful I would like to see the actual engine that I will be working on this winter.

If you have to extend the cable you need to join the copper part of the wires (solder), I'm amazed it works the way you have it now.

Fed, It was just a quick trial to see how things worked. I have yet to spend the time to make sure it is on the right settings and mess with it some more. But ya, you are right. If I am going to use the tach properly I will have to make changes first.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do not buy the Chinese knockoff of the TinyTach. It looks identical and sells on Ebay for $14 delivered to your home direct from China. It's a piece of junk! I bought one for an old wood chipper , thinking it's only $15, and it has a money back guarantee. I installed it and the RPM's were all over the place. Since I didn't use the chipper much, time passed as I followed the sellers instructions in making it work. They asked me not to post a bad review, that they would work with me. When I gave up on it, trying everything, I asked for my money back, and they told me that time had expired. Ebay said the same.

BOTTOM LINE: Buy the real TinyTach, I have one on my diesel tractor that works off the pulses of the injectors. Saved me from having to practically take the tractor apart to install a tach sender (which there is no way I was going to undertake just to know rpm's)

Last edited:

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do not buy the Chinese knockoff of the TinyTach. It looks identical and sells on Ebay for $14 delivered to your home direct from China. It's a piece of junk! I bought one for an old wood chipper , thinking it's only $15, and it has a money back guarantee. I installed it and the RPM's were all over the place. Since I didn't use the chipper much, time passed as I followed the sellers instructions in making it work. They asked me not to post a bad review, that they would work with me. When I gave up on it, trying everything, I asked for my money back, and they told me that time had expired. Ebay said the same.

BOTTOM LINE: Buy the real TinyTach, I have one on my diesel tractor that works off the pulses of the injectors. Saved me from having to practically take the tractor apart to install a tach sender (which there is no way I was not going to undertake just to know rpm's)

I hear ya Klink. Works Connection is based out of S. California... made sure I was spending money that would go to a U.S. based company.

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally messed with the tiny tach today. I am going to call this a success. I had to adjust the tach to the 2 pulse per revolution setting, turned the red wire on the tach around plug wire number one (lower plug) and covered it in electrical tape. I started in a barrel and got rpm readings of 800-840ish in idle. I am supposed to be on the water with the boat untied and see 725-775 rpm. I will see what I get in that situation and report more.

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class
This little tach has really helped me figure out carb and fine tune the link settings. After a good warmup on the water I managed to get the idle rpm to 725-750 which is in spec for this motor. I still need to work through the wot rpm and the wot stop screw. I would recommend this tach if you have limited dash space.