Nissan 120A2 issues?

Dan Hicks

Recruit
I'm having a intermittent issue with a 99/2000 year 120. The combo is new to me.
Does this motor have the ability to drop cylinders based on a overheat situation? Someone has been chopping on this one for a while. Idles all day, no problem, when under a load and it (what appears to be overheating) it will limit RPMS to 2500?
Oddly enough, many times a reduction to idle and back on the throttle would clear it up (when it first happened I thought it may be fuel or ign. related)
Pulled the t-stat and put it in heated water as a test, open to about 50% of max travel.
Checked the water pump, someone has definitely been in there recently but the impeller (to me) feels like it is done with heavy creasing on the rubber.
Took a quick look at the temp sender located below t-stat, traced the wires up under the electrical cover on the starboard side and found another surprise, a splice twisted together and covered in tape (ill fix that tomorrow)
My question is this, that seems to be light green going to the harness, as if it were only signaling the warning horn at the console ( which was also disconnected under the console)
Is there another temp sensor that communicates with the computer?
OR
am I barking up the wrong tree here? The only reason I was able to differentiate overheat from fuel or ignition was it did manage to happen when running twice where I ran across a very small patch of floating grass, immediately the boat starts dropping cylinders and is limited 2500 RPMS, after a little idle, good to go for a bit.
It seems as if it is operating on the upper range of its temp limits and the slightest change will cause what has been described.
By the way, I am going to order the factory manual tomorrow, just looking for some insight to get a head start on this and hopefully correct the issue before the coming weekend.
Anyplace near Tampa FL. buy parts?