Torsion axle boat trailer bearings

mbrownone

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have a clean Johnson brand torsion axle trailer with some 9" wheels on it. Was wanting to inspect the bearings, but should get some advice from someone before I go removing stuff...never had a torsion trailer before. I love how it tows, very smooth and no jerking or bouncing as I notice on my other boat trailer with leafs springs. Anyhow, my question is this: when I remove the 4 screws which appear to keep a cover attached over the bearings, shouldn't this come right off?? I tried to remove it, but seems stuck, or maybe it a part of an assembly I am not familiar with. Do these trailers have a unique manner of bearing inspection??? Is anyone here on the forum familiar with these trailers to inspect and possibly replace bearings? Appreciate any suggestions and comments. The axle does have a nipple for a grease gun attachment at each wheel. I keep it well greased, but only had the trailer for about a year and never inspected the bearings. Picture attached shows what Im talking about....

trailertire.jpg