Need to make vent hole smaller

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
The two vents on the forward cabin top on my Albin 25 went missing by the PO *you can se the patched hole on the stbd cabintop below) and I am going to replace them with this:
NICRO #N28810, 3" WHITE AIRVENT 500 The Chandlery Online
The existing vent holes are a titch under 4 inches in diameter and the Nicro vents require a hole of 3 3/4 inches. My only thought so far is to find some firm, 1/2 inch thick closed-cell foam weather stripping to line the hole with, which will compress when the vent is installed. Better ideas? :confused:

This looks like it would work quite well:
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Hardware/Builders/Weatherstrip/Foam-Tapes/1-4-1-Self-Expanding-Multi-Foam-Weatherstripping-Tape/_/N-ntjslZ2pph/R-I2395112

Attachments

• Albinstrbd.jpg
    Albinstrbd.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need to make vent hole smaller

Just my opinion, but I don't think 1/4 inch is going to make any difference. I don't see any mention of a gasket to seal the unit to the boat, but there must be something.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep ^^^, that's a 1/8" gap all the way around. The vent is 7" diameter, and it looks like the mount screws go thru the mount ring less then a 1/2" from the edge of the vent:
006_AN28810.jpg

Even w/ the 4" hole you're still at least 1" from those mount holes.

No need to reduce the size of your existing thru hole, IMHO. The vent should have some sort of gasketing between the bottom of the vent & the surface it's mounted to.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK guys, thx, I'll hold off until I get the units and see how they install.

Just as a point of interest, I've removed the jack lines (PO had little 'uns aboard) because they were a death trap for my big awkward feet, but I'm going to re-install the stanchions to serve as fender attachments since there are only two cleats per side. The stanchions will permit flexibility in fender height (ie along the rub rail when necessary).