Shift Cam Alignment

ezd

Recruit
1988 Mercury 9.9
0b243714

Hi,

I changed the impeller including the lower housing, motor was placed in forward prior to disassembly. I removed the shift shaft completely from the LU during the process and turned the propeller, now I am unable to reposition it correctly. With the water pump housing back on, I can move the shaft up and down into three positions, but only neutral and reverse seem correct, forward ratchets. Angled side of shift cam is facing propeller. Unsuccessful after multiple tries.

I have the manual (from here, thank you), I could not find the answer doing a search, I may have used wrong keywords.

I appreciate any advice.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Shift Cam Alignment

Check shift operation as follows:
a. Place shift lever in FORWARD. Gear housing should ratchet when propeller shaft
is turned clockwise and resistance should be felt when propeller is turned counterclockwise.
b. Place shift lever in NEUTRAL. Resistance should NOT be felt when propeller shaft
is rotated in either direction.
c. Place shift lever in REVERSE. Resistance should be felt when propeller shaft is rotated
in either direction.

Yours sounds like you have everything working OK.

Gerry

ezd

Recruit
Re: Shift Cam Alignment

I put it together and it shifts correctly. Thank you for your quick, detailed response.