now what? says the newbe

67Goatman

Recruit
I received a 92 Bayliner Capri last year in a trade with a 70 hp force engine. I have never owned an outboard boat and I don't know what I should do before taking it to the lake. IE fluids to check greasing certain parts etc. Can anyone give me some guidance and possibly some heads-up on problems I should look for with this motor? Any help would be appreciated.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: now what? says the newbe

I would try and go out with someone with experience 2-3 times for safety handling and maintenance info (in your boat). I felt that was worth the time spent and I should have spent more vs alone. I did laminate a check list (LOL) to check before trips, yearly or as needed.

Good Luck & Be Safe!!

wickware

Lieutenant

Oops! A manual will list most needs on the motor but you?ll have the boat and trailer needs also. I felt there was a ?General Startup? at the top of the posts. I feel My Clymer manual will cover general basics on all.

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For motor change impeler lower unit oil its a yearly maintenance just like oil change on ur car when u first go out make sure water is pissing out back also make sure primer ball and gas lines for cracks visualy check hull for cracks holes excreta look closely go out open bilge area often for first 10but to 15u min looking for water (just leaking )i then happy safe boating