Evinrude 175 seized?

iamslotman

Cadet
We bought a 2001 boat 2 years ago and it has been great until now. It started running hot after 5000 rpm and would break up at high speeds. It never overheated but did reach 3/4 on the temp guage when it was breaking up. A marina looked at it and changed the impeller and water pump housing as well as the T-stats. They cleaned out some water ports that had sucked up debris. He said the motor was actually a 1994 Ocean Pro based on the serial number. The water pressure pumping out went much higher than ever before. We took it out again and it did the same thing. Ran cool until we planed out and then the temp started climbing. We put it into neutral and it stalled. Then nothing but a click when we tried to restart. We got towed in and replaced the battery with no improvement. If I put the boat in gear, I can turn the prop a full turn, but when I try to crank it, it turns slowly to about where it was and stops cranking again. Can a defective starter do this or am I more likely looking at major engine repair? I really don't have thousands to put into another engine. Should I remove the starter and have it bench tested? Can I turn over the motor manually to see if it's free once I remove the starter? Could anything that was done in replacing the water pump and housing have come undone to cause this problem? thanks for listening.....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Evinrude 175 seized?

Over heating is never good for any motor, did the alarm horn sound? What does "breaking up" mean to you?

A look into the eyes of a motor is to pull the spark plugs one at a time and examine them for anything out of the ordinary such as damage, discolored, dry, wet, fouled or rusty. To see if the motor is seized up, try turning it over using a socket and bar or ratchet on the flywheel and it should rotate freely. You don't have to remove the starter to manually turn the flywheel, it shouldn't even have the starter drive engaged.

If the motor is not froze up then we can go from there trouble shooting it.

iamslotman

Cadet

100_0114.jpg I included a pic of the 6 plugs. I hope it loads. All the plugs look clean and dry with a light brown color except the middle plug on the right bank which is dry but has a slightly gray color and a less smooth coating. I tried to crank the motor with the plugs out but all it does is buzz like a weak electrical connection. I can turn the motor by turning the prop while in gear but I see no where to access the flywheel. Ontop of the motor under the cowl is a plastic plate that once removed exposes a swivel disk gizmo with timing marks which I didn't want to remove.
No alarm ever sounded but now that I know the motor isn't a 2001 like the boat, I don't know if it even has an alarm. It never really overheated, (gauge went to 3/4) it just started misfiring (not backfiring, just not running smooth) at 5000 rpm and we slowed it down to 3000 rpm where it ran smooth again. It stalled when we shifted it into neutral and all we got from there was a click when attempting to start.

Watermann

What is the model number for your motor. From the pic of the plugs they look like a 4 stroke without having the black carbon from 2 stroke oil. I can't see anything glaring or a problem other than they need to be cleaned or just replaced after you get her going. There are 2 different problems then if the motor turns freely with just the prop it's not froze up. Or for some reason the motor entered into a "limp mode" when you were running it and is now being prevented from starting. You may have to take it to a shop for diagnosis if the motor has a ecm computer have them read the fault code. Sorry I can't help much with your newer outboard. Maybe some of the guru's here will step in.

iamslotman

Cadet

Your latest response is making me think that maybe a lack of oil is what caused my problem? The plugs should have been sootier I think if the automatic oiler was working. Maybe that is why it was running hot at higher speeds? friction?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The mtr is a 1994 model. If you suspect probs with the vro start running 50:1 premix until the prob is solved.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, It sounds like you need to take a compression test. Clean up the battery wiring to allow full current to the starter. If you can get her to spin a couple hundred RPM, you can get a good test. Toss some 2 cycle oil into the cylinders.

Randy000

Seaman

Yes the starter can turn very slowly if the starter is fried. I had one do that to me before, acted is if the battery was weak. I opened the starter and the brushes were fried. If the engine failed and locked up the starter wouldnt turn at all. Can make sure the bendix is retracting and not staying engaged with the flywheel.

Can test the VOR for how much oil its pulling in with a clear hose with markings and run the engine out of a tank that premixed-once you get it running.

iamslotman

Cadet

and now for the sad ending.... I removed the plugs and the exposed the flywheel. I found that I could rotate the flywheel almost a complete full turn (320*) and it would stop with a solid clunk. Tried the reverse direction and the same results. almost a full turn and then a solid clunk. I inserted a screwdriver into each cylinder and found each piston moves freely when cranking. Marina mechanic guesses a rod or something broke and the motor is junk. I removed the lower unit to make sure nothing down there was a problem. We just had a new water pump and housing installed a week before in trying to stop the running hot problem. New motors are out of the question expense wise, and I don't know about buying a used one and starting new troubles. I do miss hanging out clamming with my son and I hope we find something affordable. thanks for everyones help.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check lower unit as its a common failure that will cause same problem...

Watermann

That's a huge bummer with so much of the summer left. Good luck on the motor hunt.