A real quandary - 2009 Q5i or 2011 Q4ss?!?!

SSpencer

Recruit
I am in a buying quandary. I had pretty much settled on the $17,500 Q5i presuming it would be as nice in person as it was in photos on the dealership website. I posted earlier this week that it needs a portion of the cavitation plate welded on and a friend (who is a merc mechanic) who said I may need a water pump and other smaller items. He told me I could probably get everything I needed done for $500-$600.

Seeing the boat in person there is a lot of fading on the red portion of the seats/interior and the exposed red gelcoat areas of the boat itself. I would call those areas close to pink now as the previous owner kept it uncovered for the most part. Only solution is probably re-upholstering.

Looks like I might be looking at $17,500 for the boat and then another $1000-$1500 for cleaning, parts, upholstery, etc.

The other boat in the mix is a 2011 Q4SS that is the higher end ebony pkg with the wood grain console, etc. It is $19K and doesn't have a single thing wrong with it. All I can see is that it is 18' versus the 19.5' of the Q5i

Which way would you folks lean? I have a daughter and grandchild (2 yr) old and a son off in college. Would would lean to the 2009 Q5i and make repairs or the 2011 Q4SS and it be almost 100% as new?

Last edited:

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: A real quandary - 2009 Q5i or 2011 Q4ss?!?!

by the sounds of it the q4 seems to be a better cared for boat

what motors do they both have cause the q4 could only have the 4 cylinder

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: A real quandary - 2009 Q5i or 2011 Q4ss?!?!

Bigger is better but it sounds like the Q5i was not well cared for so I would pass on it. There are lots of boats out there and end of season is coming so there will soon be lots more and the prices will be dropping. I would wait till you can get exactly what you want at a better price.