2002 Bayliner 4.3 Alpha One Sputtering will not idle

2001 bayliner

Recruit
I have a 2002 Bayliner with a 4.3 carburetor engine I have not used the boat in 3 - 4 years, decided to pull it out this spring, pumped out all of the old gas about 10 gallons, and filled with 10 gallons of fresh gas and 1 container about a pint of Seafoam. Ran rough replaced the fuel separator filter with Wix 33226 engine smoothed out a little. I then replaced the spark plugs it smoothed out a little more. The engine will run but it seams that it is a fuel or carburetor, my suspicion is the carb with the problem. The only number I can find on the carb is the SAE J1223 no tag on carb. Engine serial # M094273 if that helps. How hard is it rebuilt this carb? I am handy never rebuilt carb. Not a mechanic as a profession, but have replaced timing belts on engines before and they ran when done. This engine has about 250 hours on it. It will not idle smooth for long and then the RPMs up way up and then drops down after 20 -30 seconds and will idle reasonably smooth for maybe 2 -3 minutes before it starts racing again.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2002 Bayliner 4.3 Alpha One Sputtering will not idle

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... I'm thinkin' yer Right, the carb needs a rebuildin', or replacement,....

Donno if yer capable or not,...

Rebuildin' a carb is all 'bout gettin' it Clean, 'n the proper settin's,....