Compression problem or normal WOT?

Bayliner2252

Cadet
Hi folks,

I've had my Bayliner with a 4.3L and Alpha 1 for several years now and one of the things that's always bothered me is that while I can do 35 WOT with just myself aboard when I add three more adults, for say a total of 725 lbs, top end drops to about 18. Is that normal? Prop is correct size and pitch.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Compression problem or normal WOT?

Boat size, and year would help. Do you have water inside that you have to bilge out or drain after use? It could be that the foam in the bottom of the hull is water logged and then you may be at max capacity with just you on board. One way to tell is find out your boat specs and then check your boats weight on some scales. Another would be to open a hatch and take a core sample to visually inspect the foam for water intrusion. Soggy foam can add quite a bit of extra weight.

thumpar

Admiral

What prop size is it exactly?

Bayliner2252

Cadet

Howdy,

It's a '94 and about 22' 5". Never any water in the bilge unless it has rained and I left it uncovered. Interesting about the foam, that never occurred to me. I don't have prop size with me and boat is back in Mn., but I do know it is factory spec. I tried a different prop once upon a time and, while it got me out of the hole quicker, WOT dropped a bit so I went back to the old one.

Thanks gents.

thumpar

Admiral

What RPM are you hitting at WOT?