89 4.3L Timing

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the new Michigan motors EST system installed and my boat started right up. (she died on me in the water and got fed up with fooling around with the no spark issues).

For timing the guide says -4 BASE TIMING after she is warmed up with the base timing dongle hooked up to the + and distributor. When I unplug it is it suppose to go to 0 or what? these instructions are not very informative.

Also it does not seam like the motor shifts any different with or without the shift interrupt hooked up. I checked the switch and it does idle down the motor for a split second so I know its working but it does not make a difference if its hooked up or not.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 4.3L Timing

timing.jpg

Well the timing marks on mine are worn off so it looks like I have it at 4 after? is that -4 degrees? or is that +4?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

As for the characteristics of the new system, best contact the supplier. If it was a Merc genuine system I could help you... As for the shift interrupt switch.. It only works when the boat is in the water, not on the trailer. The cable needs to have load on it to trip the switch. No load, no switch movement.

achris

Thanks achris.

I assume -4 is "BTDC"?

I wouldn't make that assumption, I'd call the supplier. And get the reply in writing. If it's wrong and you knock a hole in a piston....

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

huh I thought this was a recommended upgrade to replace the thunderbolt ivs when they go bad. Cant get ahold of them till Monday :-\

achris

Recommended by whom? (Not Mercury)