Confused about a serial number and motor

tallcanadian

Captain
I am looking at a what I think is a 1976 or 1977 Mercury 110. The owner is selling this for 80 bucks. It is seized but I'm thinking of a winter project. However, I asked him for the serial number and the number he gave me (9149957) belongs to a 1977 4 hp Gnat? Mercury outboard. I cant find much info on the 4 hp. There is lots on the 4.5. I guess this 4 hp is a 2 cylinder. My questions is, and I think I know the answer, will the cowl of a 110 fit the 4?? Here is a pic of the motor.

hsi111

Seaman
Re: Confused about a serial number and motor

Does your look like this inside? This is a 1977 4hp gnat without cover.

$T2eC16FHJHQE9nzEyHl-BQ(WzhQ9IQ~~48_79.JPG

tallcanadian

Captain

Well, there is no comparison there. I just wish I knew where he got the serial number from. I won't be able to see the motor until next weekend. I think he does have the 110. That gnat was named appropriately for sure. ..lol.

tallcanadian

Captain

So I decided to buy the motor. The serial number is correct but I can't find any info on it anywhere. I do believe it's a 77 because of the dark decal on the front. It is seized but for 60 bucks, hey, I wanted to pick it up for a winter project. It also matches my 85 hp Mercury and would make a great kicker. It's also the 3rd motor I have with the bi centennial decals. I must might collect all the models with this trim. Hmmm....:facepalm::eek:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

TC - You're turning into quite the Merc collector, Bicentennial editions. You have MMS. It will make a nice matched set with the 65 or 85. Hope you get her freed up and making blue smoke.

tallcanadian

Captain

I did solve a bit of the mystery with the serial number. It is a Belgium serial number. But I'm still not sure of the year. I must keep probing...