Brand new rebuilt starter sticking up, splines getting hammered from opposite side.

I've noticed this for a week or so, and finally seen it stick today with the engine cover off. I did have all my spark plugs out, while checking compression. Not sure if it had something to do with it this time, but the wear on the wrong side of the gears started almost immediately after I installed it.

There have been many times so far that it's hard to start, "acts like it's not getting gas, or flooded" even after warmed up, and I'll sit on the starter, cranking, while playing with the choke, etc. It'll kind of start, then die. Like it's wanting to start, or fires once or twice real quick, and the starter drops too soon, and nothing. Retry....I'm guessing a lot of this kind of starting can cause this.

The only thing I can think of fixing is the stripped bolt on the top, closest to the gears. One bolt on the bottom, and two on the top. It feels tight on there, and doesn't wiggle, yet I'm sure it'll cost a pretty penny to get it re tapped. Would this be the cause, or should I grab my receipt and head back to the place that sold me the rebuilt starter 2 weeks ago? Thanks.

Last edited:
Re: Brand new rebuilt starter sticking up, splines getting hammered from opposite sid

I think you are saying that the bendix (small gear on starter) is either staying up or dropping when the engine is starting but not fully started?

The bendix is thrown up by the force of the starter spinning. The bendix is returned to the down position by the engine turning faster than the starter so the bendix is wound back down the shaft. If the bendix is sticking you should oil the shaft. With out spark plugs the bendix may stay up.
Only the first jolt of the starter shaft moving faster than the bendix will make the bendix go up if the engine splutters and the bendix drops it will be the same speed as the starter shaft so there is no force to make the bendix go up until you stop cranking and try again.