The fun begins, 1985 skeeter bass boat restore

iceman2

Cadet
Just picked up a 1985 skeeter bass boat, the hull and transom are in great shape, I am redoing the front deck, new carpet, and a good polish, The boat had no motor, I would like abit of advice, I own a 2005 90 hp merc that is an excellent motor, it's on my other fishing boat, And I have a chance to buy a 140. Johnson 1982' that is in pretty good shape, do I go for more hp, or the newer more reliable motor? The skeeter is an 18 ft boat. How fast do you think the 90 would push it? I'm really struggling with that descision. I will post pictures soon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: The fun begins, 1985 skeeter bass boat restore

1985 bass boat with a transom thats in great shape. Uhhmmm, what are you basing your assessment on. With no motor on the boat and without drilling core samples how can you be that certain? 28 yr old boats, unless they have been cared for meticulously usually will have transom, deck and stringer issues.

crovowen

Seaman Apprentice

taggin along- crow

iceman2

Cadet

That was my thoughts to being that old. I did drill some test holes in the inside of The transom and everything is solid. I have access to the stringers and they all look good, the boat has been stored inside it belonged to my grandpa so I know it's history, the old motor was taken by another grandson for his boat. The boat has been sitting in the shed for 10 years with no water getting to it

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome...glad to hear you have a proverbial diamond in the rough...an old boat with zero rot...that's awesome!
My W.A.G. on an 18' Skeeter Bass Boat, in perfect non-rotted wood, non-waterlogged foam, properly pitched prop, WOT, trimmed perfectly, standard load of two people and required fishing tackle, munchies and beverages, full fuel load, full live well, water like a table top, perfect fuel/oil, mix/calibration...
90 HP- 35-40 MPH +/- 5-10 MPH
140 HP 45-50 MPH +/- 5-10 MPH
add 3-5 MPH as fuel load is consumed, only to be offset somewhat by how close you are to your bag limits...
Realistically it is very hard to put an exact figure on it because there are so many variables...but those numbers are in the ball park as described...
Another consideration is the fact that HP ratings up to about 1984 where Crank rated, and after that they are usually prop rated, so the performance of the 90 may be closer to that of the 140 for that reason and the other reason is the weight difference of the two engines...
Can't wait to see pics.
Good Luck and have fun!
GT1M

iceman2

Cadet

Thank you for the info, very good information, I think I will stick with the 90, Newer is always better and it's a proven on my other boat. I'll get pictures up tomorrow. I have striped the carpet, seats, and rebuilt the front deck, it's ready to install and then carpet. I also started the buffing process and the gel coat is shining up nicely.

iceman2

Cadet

The boat when I picked it up!july 2013 168.jpgjuly 2013 169.jpgjuly 2013 171.jpgjuly 2013 172.jpgjuly 2013 173.jpg

iceman2

Cadet

Stripped the carpet, modified the deck in front to accept my new platform, ripped out the seats, Built the new platfrom all glassed and ready to install, 003.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

iceman2

Cadet

One more question, I just located a 200 hp Merc (1981) that is in great shape, good price, My boat is rated from 140 hp to 175 hp. Is this to much engine, I see many 18' bass boats with 200 and 250 hp motors, I like the idea of the power, Not sure I need that much but the price is right on the motor. Or do I stick with my newer 90 HP motor and call it good

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I would love a huge honkin engine like that slung off the back of my tub, but not only may it be overpowered, but it may be way to heavy for the hull design...
I would stick with either the capacity plate on the boat or the Coast Guard recommendations...
You already have a good running 90HP...use it...you may not get to your favorite fishing spot in 15 seconds or less, but then again, you aren't in a tournament either...enjoy your cruising time...and save some fuel while you are at it...JMHO...:)

iceman2

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, one more question for the gel coat experts, the oxidation is coming of nicely, but the metal flake is pretty heavy and rough, Could or should I give it a final coat of clear gel coat over the flake. Or should I just keep up with the elbow grease and polish it up with rubbing compound and wax polish.

I guess I should save the bucks and keep my motor and put the money into other things.

iceman2

Cadet

Where did the summer go! My goal was to finish up the carpet before the snow flies, I just finished up the front deck (complete rebuild) and the rear deck, all I have left now is the cockpit. Will try and get that done this weekend.

I am looking for a shop I can get the boat in for winter to finish up the oxidation removal. I am still having 2nd thoughts how to complete this. I have started in an area on the boat with 400 grit paper, then moving up to 800, 1000, and then 1500, I polished with a buffer but i am not getting the shine I am after.

I am looking for advice, should I install an new clear gelcoat? or are there other products that apply better? Could really use some help with this decision.PIC_0181.jpgPIC_0182.jpgPIC_0183.jpgPIC_0184.jpgPIC_0185.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You're running into the same problem as a myriad of guys with metal flake bass boats here on the forum. Problem is there's no good answer. Your boat was made by applying a solid color base coat and then apllying a clear gelcoat with the melalflake. Once the clear oxidizes and "Clouds' up...There's no bringing her back to life. At lease I've not seen it in the 4 years and hundreds of attempts that I've seen. Most either sand her down and re-gel or re-Paint.

It's your boat, and your decision. I just can't lead you to an answer on how to restore the shine as she sits right now. Wish I could.;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

New deck and carpet are looking really good, nice job...

Yep, woody is right, there is no easy fix for the gel once you are into the flake...
Besides what he mentioned...re-gel or re-paint...you could try a very expensive, time consuming and not all that great of a "Band-Aid" solution...
Spray several coats of automotive clear on it...it isn't going to fix any dullness of the color that is there or make the gel any smoother than it is, but it will put a shine on it...however, the shine is only going to reflect what it is put on top of...
I don't know enough about clear gel coat to know if it would do any better or do it any cheaper...

Maybe the best option is to use it as is until next season, save up some dough and sand and prep it for a good paint job...

iceman2

Cadet

Thank you so much for the advice, i'm not digging the color of the boat, but was not looking forward to painting, I have seen a similar boat that the guy sanded down the existing surface to remove all oxidation, he then re sprayed a clear gel coat, one coat to fill in the voids, he then sprayed a 2nd coat with flake in the clear, it actually turned out great.

The other option I have been looking into is just Wrapping the boat, A bit more cost, but you can sure get a great look with it.

With the softwater season winding down here in Utah, and Snow hitting the hills as we speak, I guess its time to focus on switching my motor (2005 90 hp merc) from my existing boat to the new bass boat. One other issue I am facing is that the old boat with this motor on it has cable steering, the torque on the steering wheel drives me crazy, I am considering hydrolic steering with the replacement, is there better systems I should be looking at. Have not done much research on it yet, but I am thinking this is the way I need to go.

Still hoping the 90hp is going to be enough, right now I have it on a 17' center console boston whaler type boat, It only gives me about 30-35 mph on the water, I'm thinking on the bass boat I should get a bit more speed with less water drag. Not looking to race but would like the power.

Thanks in advance for chiming in.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Joey, this topic has been inactive since Oct2013, please dont post to topics that have been inactive for 90+days. Thanks