Torque Shift prop seized on shaft

SEGAangler

Seaman
The boat I recently bought has a Land & Sea Torque Shift Auto Pitch prop that I need to remove (previous owner said it wasn't "acting right"). It is seized on the prop shaft. I have read many of the threads about removing props and have pretty much realized it's gonna have to be cut and/or burned off. The part where the cams are....is it safe and/or possible to cut these? I'm not quite sure exactly how the prop operates so I don't know if the cams are under stress or pressure or what kind of material they are etc. I have started cutting but stopped until I got more info about this. Any advice would be helpful. Any burning will probably be done by someone with more experience but I'd like to attempt to do it myself 1st.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Torque Shift prop seized on shaft

Start by applying W40 overdose, let soak, repeat several times, check if can be pulled, bang prop body with rubber mallet. If still seized will need a prop extractor or heat with torche, bang and pull or a combination of them. Assume cutting is the least you want to do, as prop could still be operational after a good overall maintenance.

Happy Boating

etracer68

Ensign

Heat may melt the shaft seal, so I would be using a cut off wheel.

SEGAangler

Seaman

Yes, cut off wheel. Heat is going to be a very last resort and I will take it to someone more experienced if it comes to that. I am mainly concerned with the inner workings of the auto pitch prop that I'm trying to remove. I disconnected the little springs connected to the blades but I'm not sure about the 3 "chambers" where the cams are....if there are more springs or anything else that I should be paying particular attention to. If those are safe and possible to cut through then the plan is slow and steady cutting until I'm almost to the shaft until I can (hopefully) pry the last little bit apart with a screwdriver or chisel. This particular prop I'm having problems finding alot of info about since they are no longer made and from what I've read people either loved them or hated them--no in between! Sea Rider, by this point even if the prop was able to be rebuilt it is garbage now as I've already been hacking on it.

etracer68

Ensign

Sounds like your going about it right, sorry but I dont know the prop. Take it slow, and good luck.

SEGAangler

Seaman

This probably should have been stated originally: I have tried penetrating oil, WD40, CLR (to break down the corrosion), tapping extensively, and a large puller. All to no avail. All the solvents etc I let sit and re-applied several times over the course of a couple days. It is most certainly seized well and demolition is basically where it's at.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If all mentioned options has failed with no avail, and you no longer want that prop the only thing left would be to chop it down with a small cut off wheel, extreme patience and best mood..(could add some cold beers too)

Happy Boating

I had a torque shift when they first came out in the 80's. The thing never seem to work right. When it did work the hole shot was great. It would start out at the smaller pitch then as speed/rpm came up it would just kind of stay in the mid rpm much like a centrifugal clutch on a snowmobile. The cams would get cracks in them after a little use. While it seemed to "float" on acceleration, on deceleration it would down shift hard and I didn't like how it jarred the lower unit. The dealer were I bought it gave me a full credit towards a 4 blade Spinneli and its been a great prop for the last 20+ years. With so many mechanical/moving parts adding more where a fixed blade does the job doesn't make sense.

SEGAangler

Seaman

The removal went rather well; was able to cut it off without the use of heat. It went a bit differently than most I've read on here (b/c the type of prop) but patience was the key. I'm not sure I'd EVER want to takle cutting off a stainless prop after this!

dazk14

Ensign

The hub on those are aluminum, so that helps. You should have been able to salvage the blades, cams, springs,outer ring,etc..

The parts are worth money on ebay.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never heard of / seen one of these, could ya post some pics?
Please?

SEGAangler

Seaman

Here you go Wind Dog. It doesn't look quite so good anymore!0353small.jpg0357small.jpg0358small.jpg0359small.jpg