who makes my boat ?

wilkeylarry

Cadet
Hey Guys i am new to this website so any help would be great. I have recently purchased a 1969 CMF. I can not find any info on this boat. I do know it is 18ft long and is a tri-hull. really good boat and runs good and my family is enjoying it. I guess i just want to know what to tell people when they ask what is a cmf. again thanks for any info.

wilkeylarry

Cadet
Re: who makes my boat ?

thanks for the intel. I see 2010 was a bad year for a lot of companys.

Dee Jsaan

Seaman Apprentice

On the dashboard of your boat there should be a metal badge or placard containing that information and the HP rating of the motor that can be used on it. I believe it is illegal to remove that from the boat. (not saying that that it doesn't happen)

As I remember the OMC tri-hulls were an early to mid sixties introduction to the boating market that became quite popular.

If you go to Google and type in "mid sixties tri hull boats" and then go to "Images" and click that link you should see a page of photos of these. You may even find one like yours there.

Fiberglass resin is expensive and I believe it floats with petroleum prices.

There is a guy here in the southern tip of Ohio who has been making fiberglass bath tubs to satellite dishes and everything inbetween since the 60's. He tells me that he drives clear down into Tennessee to get resins by the barrels in his van. He told me he's just about out of business with fiberglass. He explained that there is so much recycling of building products now and the cost of resin is
through the sky.

I'm sure that there are plenty of old boats laying around too. Not surprised to hear of guys buying new motors for 56,500 to put on a
30 year old $500 boat and trailer.

Last edited:

wilkeylarry

Cadet

i took some pics of the boat. I don't see a tag on the dash. but i can't see any holes where one could have been either. 0727131002.jpg0727131002a.jpg0727131003.jpg0727131003a.jpg0727131003b.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

A lot of the older boats don't have the ID plate on them, it did not become mandatory until later. Most of the 1960's boats I have own, did not have ID plates on them.

Dee Jsaan

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure the exact year it became a requirement. Anyone know ? My 1958 Elgin, sold by Sears has one in place. It stipulates a 40 hp motor as the largest to be fitted to it.

I remember the Boating Skills and Seamanship course I took, discussed these ID plates on the dash and explained to everyone that it was illegal to remove it. When I've taken my boat to the USCGA CMI (courtesy marine inspection) it was always one of the first things that they looked for.

But with this said, there could be a load of reasons one isn't there on an old boat.

southkogs

Staff member

HINs weren't required until 1972. Prior to that, a boat may or may not have one anywhere.

I wonder if that boat is technically a skiff? I saw one similar to it on the lake today.

Dee Jsaan

Seaman Apprentice

The Manufacturers Dash Plaque on my boat is about 1 1/2" tall and roughly 3" wide. It is mounted on with two rivets. This is the what the
various law enforcement agencies look for. The HIN is also and that's like a license plate type of ID. In Ohio we pay $30 for 3 years registration and the HIN is assigned with that registration. The owner has his choice of whether the numbers are painted on or sticker number & letter pieced are applied.

That plaque on the dash is the question. When were they first required to be there. I'm sure some manufacturers were putting them on there before they were required by law.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Does your registration have a HIN number on it? If so, you might be able to search by that, also, what did the state register it as? Also, I see it has numbers on the hull you should be able to get a hold of your DMV or what ever agency issued those numbers and get some information. But again, did you get any paper work with it? If so, it should have information that will lead you to the manufacture of the boat.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Just did a bit a searching and based on what has been posted on other forums, it looks like it was made by a small local South Carolina company located close to Charleston. If that is the case and the company is out of business, you might not be able to track down much information on them.

Dee Jsaan

Seaman Apprentice

On my 14 ft runabout there is a plaque like on the right side of this image below.

QMFFY0118lg.jpg

This image comes from Google and they have a space craft plaque to the right side of it.

But you can see some of the info contained on it.

But this is the dash plaque I'm speaking of. The HIN I believe starts with 3 letters which indicate the state.

In the BSS course I took the Coast Guard members who were teaching explained that it is illegal to remove these plaques.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Dee,

You are correct, unless the boat was built before they were required, there are a lot of older boats out there that don't have ID plates.

wilkeylarry

Cadet

yea MTboatguy i got titles for the boat and the motor. And the little cards you have to have to run the boat on the lake. The registration card just says it is a cmf. I am not sure which number on the top of the card is the hull id number.Everything is up to date on the boat so it is only going to cost me 76 dollars for me to make it legal in my name. So for 1,000 dollars for a running legal boat with no problems i think i did ok.

UncleWillie

Captain

The Manufacturers Dash Plaque on my boat is about 1 1/2" tall and roughly 3" wide. It is mounted on with two rivets. This is the what the various law enforcement agencies look for.
The HIN is also, and that's like a license plate type of ID. In Ohio we pay $30 for 3 years registration and the HIN is assigned with that registration. The owner has his choice of whether the numbers are painted on or sticker number & letter pieced are applied.

That plaque on the dash is the question. When were they first required to be there. I'm sure some manufacturers were putting them on there before they were required by law.

The HIN is the VIN equivalent number for an automobile. (Serial Number)
The license plate equivalent numbers assigned by the state and displayed on the Bow is the REGISTRATION Number.
The sticker near the Helm (Dash) is the Capacity plate.
Don't confuse the Three.

Except for the Registration numbers, all bets are off for anything made before 1973.

Dee Jsaan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Uncle Willie for clearing that up.

I pay $30 dollars every 3 years here in Ohio for that registration which gives me the letters and numbers that goes on the bow.

There is the plaque on the helm that spells out who made the boat, the capacity and horse power of the motor.

Since my boat is just under 14 ft I don't have to "Title" it in Ohio. But the Motor because of it's horse power being above 10 hp has to be titled. Likewise with the boat trailer.