1994 70hp force water in #2, good compression.

Cogburn

Seaman
I am working on a 1994 or so Force 70hp.

The engine runs on two cylinders #1 and #3. All three cylinders have about the same compression, about 115 on all 3. Spark is good on all 3.

I put #2 on tdc and pressurized the cylinder and got about 10% leakage but nothing out the exhaust. #2 appears to have water on the spark plug.

What would the chances be of:

1. bad reeds causing #2 to suck in water.

2. Bad head gasket.

3. bad exhaust gasket.

4. powerhead gasket.

Or any other thoughts on why just #2 has water in it??

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1994 70hp force water in #2, good compression.

1. bad reeds causing #2 to suck in water. Highly unlikely, reeds control fuel air mixture. Don't really have anything to do with water, unless the water is being sucked into the carburetors.

2. Bad head gasket.
Possible. Head gasket is not that expensive and easy to change. Probably the first thing that I would try, but that's just me.

3. bad exhaust gasket. Another possibility. This would be the next thing I would try if the head gasket doesn't fix it.

4. powerhead gasket.
There are several power head gaskets. Not sure which one you are referring to, but none of them that I can think of off hand would be a likely candidate.

One other thing to look at is the stainless steel exhaust baffle under the exhaust cover. Sometimes they crack. This is another source for water in the cylinder.

There is also the possibility of a cracked block or cylinder. Not very common. I would try the head gasket and then the exhaust gasket if the head gasket doesn't work.

Cogburn

Seaman

I pulled the head off a few minutes ago, it isn't a head gasket. Looks like all cylinders get some water so I think I will be pulling the exhaust plate off.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Be careful when removing the exhaust cover bolts. If my memory serves me right, they're 1/4" 20 bolts. Not real strong, so if you have one that is rusted or corroded and seems to be stuck, take it easy. They're pretty easy to snap off. Use some penetrating oil and tap on it gently...possibly heat from a propane torch if necessary.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Water in the cylinders is almost always the exhaust cover gasket (in my opinion). As pnwboat said, be VERY careful with the bolts, they are a PITA to drill out.

Cogburn

Seaman

I removed the powerhead.

I found that the exhaust cover gasket was intact.

The powerhead adapter gasket was blown.

It was leaking pretty well in the area underneath the exhaust plate where there is a pretty good span without any bolts.

Is this an area where it can possibly leak water into the engine?
The water leakage into the engine is probably the main issue

I found another problem with the #2 cylinder. The piston has some damage from a piece of something going through the corner of the exhaust port and lifting a part of the top ring land and also the top ring looks like it was a moly ring and the moly coating came off. The cylinder itself actually looks ok. It looks like it has been that way for quite a while and the cylinder has decent compression but the top ring isn't sealing.

I am thinking a slight cleanup with some scotch brite and a piston and rings would work for a fix on this engine. If the water is coming from the adapter gasket then I might fix it just for fun as I sold the guy an engine and have this to play with now.

cuda67bnl

Cadet

I removed the powerhead.

I found another problem with the #2 cylinder. The piston has some damage from a piece of something going through the corner of the exhaust port and lifting a part of the top ring land and also the top ring looks like it was a moly ring and the moly coating came off. The cylinder itself actually looks ok. It looks like it has been that way for quite a while and the cylinder has decent compression but the top ring isn't sealing.

Any chance your piston looks similar to this pic? My motor has been skipping, so I took the head off yesterday and found this after doing a compression check.... Once I figure out how to get the powerhead off, I'm gonna try replacing the piston and rings on mine. I'll be posting a new thread on that, but was just wondering if yours looks similar.
108_0994.jpg

Cogburn

Seaman

Looks exactly the same in the same spot.

The powerhead is pretty easy to take off. There are about 2 bolts and 2 nuts on the bottom,5 bolts on the top, 2 small ones in the front under the carb and it lifts off.

cuda67bnl

Cadet

Thanks for the info on the bolts to remove. I'm gonna go snatch mine off and see if I can split the powerhead and get this piston out.