Gale 40hp (J/E) 1961 swap out with newer fuel pump?

Sippen

Seaman
Hello,
The glass bubble would not stay full of fuel and it would stall out, so I replaced the diaphragm and spring.. tricky, but got it back together. bubble still goes empty and stalls out, unless you pump the ball.
Read on another thread of not messing with this and just install a newer gen pump. Engine Model 40DE14B (same or real close to a Johnson)

Doing that, I would also need an add a gas filter, right?
Any idea which pump you would recommend? Currently has 3 gas lines going into it.
The new one prob would not mount to the old screws, but zip tie it in there right?

Thanks a ton for any help!!
Here is what it looks like,
Fpump.jpg

The Gale is parked on an old '58 Cadillac, 14'
1958 boat.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Gale 40hp (J/E) 1961 swap out with newer fuel pump?

You could mount a newer style pump on it, easy enough. When you do, just get the bypass cover from a motor that would take the newer style pump. The newer style pumps have filters built into them, as well as the pick up tube in your fuel tank, so you should be good.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you get a 3 line pump, like yours now, you simply need to find a way to mount it. Not overly difficult to make up a plate. I sometimes like to add an additional inline filter as extra insurance.

Sippen

Seaman

Thank you for the input!

I stopped at my local boat shop, gentleman there said the glass bowl is not normally full and said to trouble shoot the gas tank line, hoses and possibly the carb. I have some hose so I will try that first. He recommended not replacing the pump...
an inline filter is cheap and good insurance for sure. Thanks!
dave,

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Those were very good pumps, even had "real" check valves. I wouldn't consider replacing it. As for the bowl, the guy is right, they don't stay full of gas. Don't try to understand, just believe.

Sippen

Seaman

Thanks F R,
I will keep the original. After installing the new diaphragm, spring and spring cover, I had it on the water for an hour and it ran pretty smooth. Next night took it out and it would stall out from lack of gas. If i pumped the gas line ball every 3 minutes or so it would not stall. I did notice some gas leaking from engine when i pumped the primer ball. I removed the pump and put a little more torque on the gasket screws. when i pump it i still see some gas leaking out the back small hole on the gas pump. You can see it in the pic. Is this normal? or should i take the pump apart and make sure all is lined up in there? Thanks again!

20130731_113913.jpg
sry, pic is leaning to the left.
(gas line clamp will be installed, no leak there)

Last edited:

Sippen

Seaman

Had it on the water this past weekend. A little rough at low idle in gear. smooths out in high rpm and gets on plain, then after 30 seconds it is bonking out starving for gas, a pump on the gas ball primer and it keeps going, another pump and it keeps going...

so far,
replaced diaphragm (kit)
fuel line
female fuel line connector to motor (a little bit of slop still there, this normal?)

The gas ball primer was not replaced, could this be the problem? looks in good condition
took tank apart (older plastic). siphon looks ok. Not sure if purchasing a new tank and male fuel line connection should be done.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!!