Mixing and applying poly resin

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've never worked with resin before, but I'm trying to coat some plywood right now. I mixed what I thought was the correct amount of resin (1 quart) and hardener (3.5 tsp). I managed to coat two panels, but all of the sudden the mixture starting setting up, I guess. It had the consistency of jello. This happened after about 10 minutes. Does this mean there was too much hardener in it? I need any tips for mixing and applying the resin to the plywood. Thanks!

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mixing and applying poly resin

One more thing, I'm guessing I definitely over-mixed it. So, how much can I under-mix?? I'd like the resin to really soak into the plywood?

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

1/4 oz hardener to 1 quart resin works the best IMHO, You can always thin it out a little (with Styrene) also to help it soak into the wood, which is what i did anyways. You really want it to soak in as much as possible. Especially with poly resin.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I will have plenty left over after the first coat. How many coats should I be applying?

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

One other thing,when mixing resin in a cup or something in that line,the resin will cure faster due to the heat build up.One thing that helps is use a cake type pan,one you can 86 or something like that.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mix the resin in the quart container with a paint stirrer for 2 minutes.<br />Then pour into a $1.50 baking tray from the grocery store. This will triple the open time.<br /><br />The resin that you applied to the panels, how long did it take for that resin to harden?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Basscat, I hope you used some sort of fiberglass fabric. Poly resin is useless without it...Chief

Bondo

Staff member

Another Thought,.........<br /><br />A Quart at a time is Way Tooo Much at Once...... Unless you're Pouring a mold........<br />A Pint is quite a bit to be brushing on before it Kicks........<br /><br />Keep your mix in a Large pan is a Good Idea,... It Lessens the Mass,+ slows the cure.......<br />Chilling your pan is another Trick,...... A Bigger pan under your Large pan,.... Filling the bottom pan with ice.........

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chief. Why do I have to use fiberglass fabric? I'm only planning to use the poly resin to seal the wood. I know it's not as strong as epoxy, but I've been told that poly would be good enough for sealing.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

your right, you don't need to use fiberglass when sealing ply. Poly should be fine. Just make sure you get right into the edges.<br />cheers

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whew! Thanks for the assurance tengals. That's what I thought. I forgot to mention in the beginning that the plywood is only being used for hatches and a new fishing deck. I just finished sealing the heck out of every side and edge. I have a lot of resin left, so does it makes sense to do several coats to make the seal thicker? Also, roughly how long does it take to cure? It's drying in my garage. I'm guessing it's about 60º in there.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

yeah an extra coat wont hurt. Sand it lightly if its been dry for a couple of days. Curring times differ. To be honest all my resining have been done on hot days like 30+ degress cel. and have been dry in 8-10hours. I guess in cold temps it could take a few days to cure.<br /><br />cheers