1987 60HP Evinrude Exhaust Manifold

sjb0239

Cadet
It appears that I cannot replace the exhaust manifold gaskets without pulling the power head. Two lower bolts holding the covers on are not accessible. Not enough clearance between the bolts and engine cover or casing. A bigger job then I am able or willing to take on. I talked with my local marine shop and they estimated about 8 hour and between $800 -$900. What would prevent me from drilling two access hole through the engine casing or cover giving me access to the two lower bolts? After the job is complete, just cap off the two holes with plastic, rubber or metal plugs?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 60HP Evinrude Exhaust Manifold

That approach has been done many times, no problem doing it if you don't mind the plugs.

sjb0239

Cadet

I don?t mind the plugged hole concept. I think I can make it look real professional. Actually, probably a pretty nice maintenance feature. Thanks so much for your quick response. I will let you know how it turns out. Can pictures be attached to comments?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Drill the holes, done it many times.

sjb0239

Cadet

Drill the holes, done it many times.

Ok. I am going to drill. However, I am lacking some confidence. This manifold probably hasn't been cracked into for 26 years. Once the bolts are out, how do I separate the housing covers without doing damage? Also, putting back together with new gaskets, do you recommend any special gasket goop? One more question. These bolts need torqued?