Outdrive will not trim up

Ron K

Recruit
Hi
I have a 1978 Mark Twain V Sonic with a 165hp Mercruiser engine. I have been having a starting problem when the engine is hot that I have posted about a few weeks ago. Now I have a new problem. When i pulled the boat out of the lake on Saturday the outdrive would not trim-up. You can hear the pump running and the outdrive moved a few inches but that was it. I unhooked the pistons that attached to the outdrive just to get it home. Once I had it home i figured it was low on hydraulic fluid so I put in some. The engine did raise but very slowly. I let it down and tried it again and it would only move a few inches. I tried some more hydraulic fluid but that didnt seem to help. Any thoughts ?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Outdrive will not trim up

You probably have an air lock in the system and it needs to be purged out and yes, once again filled with fluid after the purge. Keep cycling the outdrive up and down a few times and the system should purge.

Nijkampr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Outdrive will not trim up

I had the same problem after pulling our boat out of the water after a week at the cottage.
I had to add almost a litre of ATF before the leg was moving correctly again.
Mine did not have a reserve so I would fill the pump as much as possible, replace the screw and move the leg up and down several times.
Then repeated that process several times.