Jon Boats

jgbarry

Cadet
Looking to find an aluminum flat bottom that can handle a lot of weight. I will be converting the boat into a barge for my dock business. Any and all help is appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Jon Boats

Looking to find an aluminum flat bottom that can handle a lot of weight. I will be converting the boat into a barge for my dock business. Any and all help is appreciated.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... The size of the hull is Directly related to the amount of Weight you expect it to support,...

So,.... How much weight are ya thinkin',..??

jgbarry

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... The size of the hull is Directly related to the amount of Weight you expect it to support,...

So,.... How much weight are ya thinkin',..??

It would be great to be able to get anywhere from 1500-2000# not including myself

Bondo

Staff member

It would be great to be able to get anywhere from 1500-2000# not including myself

Ayuh,.... Every cubic foot of space displaced by the hull, will float 'bout 68 lbs of freight,...

southkogs

Staff member

I've seen a lot Sea Ark being used in this area for service boats.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd suggest looking at custom boat manufacturers. I know there are a few in Louisiana and along the big rivers (Mississippi/Ohio). They can build exactly what you want in plate aluminum, and usually not much more expensive than a typical recreational boat. You can get things like spud bars or access ports built into the hull. For example, check with clarkboats in Bellevue, IA (they have a website). O'quawka is another custom builder that makes really nice boats, but their price is significantly higher (tax write-off for your business?).

If you don't go custom, next best bet is probably SeaArk. They have a commercial (not recreational) line that is built a little heavier with no frills.

25'x8.5' flat-bottom would carry the weight you require. If needed, a 26x12 would carry quite a bit more, but would be a little tougher to trailer (might need overwidth permit in most states).