1996 200HP Johnson/Envinrude Oceanrunner opinions

car1568

Cadet
Hello Folks

Just looking for some info on the 1996ish 200HP 90degree V6's?
. Known issues
. Fuel consumption as compared to 175HP V6 Looper (Currently own and run one of these) (rebuilt last year with help from the crew here, thanks to those guys)
. Performance improvements, etc...

The background is I just purchased a copy of a Formula 233 (built under license here in Aust by Haines Hunter), it currently has a couple of old Yammie 150's on it and in the not to distant future I will swap these for 175 - 225's. Evinrude/Johnsons.

The big V6's come up often here in Australia on the second hand market and would provide the boat with the punch I'm looking for.

The other option would be an early EFI 175's (1999 - 2001) however these engines usually require rebuilds (blown pistons or seizing).

what are the primary causes for these failures is it oil pumps or running lean?

All input and back ground on either engine would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jason

Last edited:

car1568

Cadet
Re: 1996 200HP Johnson/Envinrude Oceanrunner opinions

Hello Folks

Just looking for some info on the 1996ish 200HP 90degree V6's?
. Known issues
. Fuel consumption as compared to 175HP V6 Looper (Currently own and run one of these) (rebuilt last year with help from the crew here, thanks to those guys)
. Performance improvements, etc...

The background is I just purchased a copy of a Formula 233 (built under license here in Aust by Haines Hunter), it currently has a couple of old Yammie 150's on it and in the not to distant future I will swap these for 175 - 225's. Evinrude/Johnsons.

The big V6's come up often here in Australia on the second hand market and would provide the boat with the punch I'm looking for.

The other option would be an early EFI 175's (1999 - 2001) however these engines usually require rebuilds (blown pistons or seizing).

what are the primary causes for these failures is it oil pumps or running lean?

All input and back ground on either engine would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jason
Bump!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 200HP Johnson/Envinrude Oceanrunner opinions

IMHO Stay away from the EFI's especially those years. If the other mtrs are carb'd they should be okay.