120 Force won't turn over fast enough

bkwesq

Cadet
Spark-fuel-power even with brand new battery it just barely spins. Take plugs out and it whizzez quick - but with plugs in very slow. Mechanic gave up after a couple hours - he thought it was a timing issue. I don't know if he could even possibly be right. Any suggestions? Next boat shop appt available is late August !

bkwesq

Cadet
Re: 120 Force won't turn over fast enough

By the way- I will always post the final solution once it works - hate reading an old post with no conclusion :)

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hope it helps but i hade same problem took apart starter and the brush holder was cracked also the magnet was pretty bad i cleand it all up glued holder back together as no replacment available for it put back on was alot betterbut still had to replace the magnet was just wore out this isnt common but happens

bkwesq

Cadet

It looks new but I will add that to my checklist

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain

This could be another source of problem, loose or dirty battery cable connections. Now most will respond back I re-tightened and double re-tightened both the black and red cables to no avail. No siree! The trick is to disconnect both cables from the engine block and one from the solenoid. Clean them with sandpaper until they are shiny and also the engine block connection and the solenoid connection. Reconnect and then try again. If the problem persists, try a new starter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Another thing or two, load test the battery.
Then after you do all the things the others suggested,do a compression test.
These starters are esy to clean.

bkwesq

Cadet

Started doing what you each suggested - new battery cables. Little faster turn over but still not enough. Is it strange that I have to hook up more than just the main positive to get the boat to turnover at all? I'm replacing those other wires next

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Hows the compression?
Sometimes the bearings in the lower unit sieze and make it hard to turn over.
After trying the rest take the lower off and see if it helps.

bkwesq

Cadet

FINAL RESULT-- I replaced the battery cables and the engine starts up and purrs like a kitten. Thank you all for your help. I did not believe that the fix would be that easy. I appreciate the help and letting me benefit from the years of experience you all have. I have another issue with the engine now but I will search the forums before i do a repeat thread.

Did get the boat in the water yesterday!