trying to rationalize picking up a V5 22 footer....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I have the Islander all stripped now...it basically is 21.5 feet long. it is super deep and wide.... I have a line on a similar condition holiday 22 footer in the V5 config. is the 22 footer really only 21.5 ft also?? or is it actually LONGER?

is the cutwater REALLY different....is it just the extra keel strakes? over the islander hull? I know the flat aluminum of the sides looks better than the kinked lapstrakes sides of the islander.... but exactly what is different???

if anyone has a 22 ft V5 hull what is the distance from the tip of the bow to where the curve of the bow meets the straight bottom of the keel?

thanks

bob

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: trying to rationalize picking up a V5 22 footer....

I have the Islander all stripped now...it basically is 21.5 feet long. it is super deep and wide.... I have a line on a similar condition holiday 22 footer in the V5 config. is the 22 footer really only 21.5 ft also?? or is it actually LONGER?

is the cutwater REALLY different....is it just the extra keel strakes? over the islander hull? I know the flat aluminum of the sides looks better than the kinked lapstrakes sides of the islander.... but exactly what is different???

if anyone has a 22 ft V5 hull what is the distance from the tip of the bow to where the curve of the bow meets the straight bottom of the keel?

thanks

bob

My hull measures 22' 3" if I remember correctly, tip of bow to transom. Some V-5 features are steeper dead rise, sharper entry, more strakes up front (both inside and outside), 4 stringers...rated for 240hp....they're built like a tank.

Check the brochures. It came out in '78. I believe they only called them v-5 in '78 & '79 but the hull continued on for a long time.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Buy it.

What was the question again?:confused:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am pretty sure I am going to pick it up....my islander is less than 80" wide I think!!! the V5 is listed at several different WIDTHS depending on the brochure and the model of the boat!!!! from 89" all the way to 8' wide with 7'10" also listed.... even in the same year...the width of the 22' V5 was different for the Holiday than it was for the SS bob

jbcurt00

Staff member

Buy now, ask questions later. :watermelon:

Best of luck on the boat viewing.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Rationalize?????? Is there such a word in our vocabulary. Nothing rational about what we do to these boats. :D

Buy it.....there is always a good reason to do so.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Bob, I measured the distance between the tip of the bow and the point where the bow keel rib meets the bottom keel rib. It measured about 77 inches. I dropped a vertical line down from the bow and measured horizontally back.

http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/new-me-22ft-holiday-v5-591787.html
thanks... Ill compare that to my islander....but I think I am committed any way because of the wider Beam on the V5 hull...the cutwater and the extra keel-strake might do something to make it more seaworthy I guess....but about 6-8" more beam is HUGE. bob

jbcurt00

Staff member

What'd be the plan for an Islander 22ft? Another de-cap center console?

Might pop over to Dozer's 201 thread (the just finished rig)....

His has the long tapered bow. & he's not to happy w/ it's performance w/ batts & trolling motor at the bow....

Don't know how the extra length (2ft +/-) or the extra beam will affect islander's performance vs Dozer's 201.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

What'd be the plan for an Islander 22ft? Another de-cap center console?

Might pop over to Dozer's 201 thread (the just finished rig)....

His has the long tapered bow. & he's not to happy w/ it's performance w/ batts & trolling motor at the bow....

Don't know how the extra length (2ft +/-) or the extra beam will affect islander's performance vs Dozer's 201.

it is a HOLIDAY 22 ft V5.....not an islander.. and it is all stripped now anyway....the interior is in pieces and the boat is just a bare hull.

but ever since i asked the guy if he would present a photo drivers license when i bought the boat, since he doesnt have a title( but a good story), he hasnt replied back to me. It is a LONG trip , way out of state, but near my parents. i am going to see the parents and figured Id bring my trailer and pick this hull up....it is super cheap.....but now I cant get a hold of him!!....i was going to leave sunday... I have another day to try and contact him, or Ill not be able to pick this hull up.

i think Ill still finnish the islander with the outboard bracket...but for seaduck hunting in the winter off Rhode island and Long island...LONG and WIDE and HIGH are all good traits!!!

bob