Garage sale trolling motor fix

82Stang

Cadet
Hello,

Picked up 2 trolling motors from a garage sale, real cheap ($20). One is a Minn Kota 55, which put power to it, does nothing. I haven't yet looked at this one, as I'll open it up and inspect parts as necessary.

The other is a Motor Guide power plus T34. Put power to it and it twitched slightly for a second. Opened the top, looked great in there. Opened the bottom and behind the prop was filled with fishing line. Removed that and pulled out the armiture, which that part of the lower body was filled with sludge and rust. Everything was dirty, but looked refurbishable as I looked at it as a challenge to see if I could get it to work again. So I cleaned it all up in there. Upon handling it though, the 2 brushes that are spring loaded on the body of the interior, which go around the armiture when installed, one was missing, the other fell off in the process of inspecting. I'm wondering if this is a repairable thing, where I would get 2 more of those brushes and how to attach them? I realize you can buy this motor new at Walmart for under $100, but I don't mind tinkering. The rest of it looks good so I hate to junk it just yet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the forum.