2011 Mercury sea pro 2 stroke hard to start when cold.

millbrook87

Recruit
I purchased a new 2011 2 years ago from the dealer and i have 2 issues.

1. It takes like 6 pulls to start and has done so ever since new. I figured at first maybe it wasnt broken in but ive put alot of hours on now and its still a hard starter.

2.Also my shallow water tilt will not stay locked in, it kicks out when i move in forward or reverse and goes back to the normal fully in water tilt.

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2011 Mercury sea pro 2 stroke hard to start when cold.

How long was the warranty...and what did the dealer say about the problem(s).

What method do you use to start it, and is it hard to start when both warm and cold?

millbrook87

Recruit

Warranty was only a year, i called they said i must be doing somthing wrong. It starts first pull when its warm. When its cold i prime the bulb pull the choke pull till it kicks push choke in and pull till it starts. Oh and i have tried variations of throttle positions while starting. anywhere from the start line on the motor to full throttle.

I have a 1984 evinrude that starts first pull. I hadnt used it in 2 years took the carb apart and cleaned it yesterday primed it all up and it started 1st pull. Is it just a mercury thing to not start easy lol

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The problem with starting newer carbed motors is that to meet the emission regulations they need to be jetted as lean as possible, this can cause starting issues and cause them to be cold blooded. There is a low speed adjustment screw on the carb that is normally covered by a brass plug, it is set at the factory and is not supposed to be adjusted after that. But you can drill or pry out the plug and adjust it.

I would leave the choke on until it actually starts because some won't run when cold without it on.

Is this a 15 or 25HP model?

Last edited: