Should I fix up trailer or buy used one?

Jfoutch

Cadet
I am working on a small project fixing up a fishing boat and after looking the trailer over I am wondering if it would be cheaper to just find a used one in decent shape for $250-300. Its a 14ft aluminum crestliner boat. The current trailer is old and looks to be in pretty bad shape. It will definitely need new tires and maybe wheels. The hitch looks old and rusty as well and it has no lights. I'm not sure if lights are a requirement on a small trailer like this where my brake lights can probably be seen easily and I won't be driving it at night. Anyways just looking for some advice, if its gonna cost a couple hundred to fix it up it seems like I may as well shop around for a used one in better shape. Here are a few pics.
20130724_144149.jpg20130724_144213.jpg20130724_144303.jpg20130724_144141.jpg

matt167

Captain
Re: Should I fix up trailer or buy used one?

Tires are no big deal. They come on rims mostly and are about $40 each right from trailer shops or places like TSC or Walmart even. I think 2 new tires/ rims, trailer wiring kit, few bucks in new bearings and grease and some time with sanding and painting and it will be good to go as long as the trailer is not rotted. I would also replace the rope on the winch, but you just need to match that up at a hardware, it's not 'marine grade' rope. The coupler looks old but if it's not worn, then it will be just fine.

Jfoutch

Cadet

Thanks Matt, so that sounds like I could be up and running for between $100-$150? Right now I'm not worried about sanding and painting, but I will get to that eventually. Yes the rope is crap, it looks like a clothes line rope ha. The coupler worries me a bit, I may get one like this Husky 87070 1-7/8" Ball 2" Width Straight Coupler with Chain : Amazon.com : Automotive for piece of mind. Also there are no safety chains to connect to the vehicle, would you recommend getting some?Thanks

matt167

Captain

Most states, safety chains are required, but you only need about 4' of a lighter chain, hook ends and a bolt and a hardened washer to install them on the trailer frame.... That coupler will work just fine. Decent price too. If you have other trailers that require a 2" ball, now would be the time to order a 2" coupler so that you only need 1 drawbar for your vehicle..

I would expect $100-150 if your not worried about paint. $200 at the most but you wouldn't have to deal with finding another trailer, setting it up for your boat and then tackling it's problems

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

You will most likely also need lights.

Jfoutch

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, I have a good idea of what I need to do now.

bad coffee

Cadet

If your trailer is structurally sound, keep it and fix it up.

I'm currently refurbing a trailer, and I've spend less than $200 on:
New paint (rattle can, 3 cans primer, 4 cans paint total. That's two coats primer, two coats paint.)
New LED lights (ebay,$34)
New hardware on a lot of the trailer.
Cleaned all rollers, replacing the bad one.
New bunks and carpet.
New bearings.
New tongue jack/wheel.
Stripped the winch down and cleaned/painted it. New rope and hook.

I need new tires, but I'm deciding on whether to get new rubber for my 4.80x12 rims, or getting a set of 12" or 13" car wheels and tires from CL.

So if you go without paint, you could easily fix your trailer for under $200.

B

Last edited:

Jfoutch

Cadet

I went to look at some tires but I'm not exactly sure which ones to get. The rubber is pretty rotted so I can't make out all the numbers and letters for an exact model. I know it's a 4 lug and roughly the size so I'll just take my best guess, I can always take them back if they don't fit I guess. I will also order a light kit and get some new rope for the winch.

hockynut2

Cadet

If you are going and looking at tires but can not read your's to match, being small enough take one of your tires in they should be able to match it up. Most small trailers all have the same 4 lug pattern so most rims should work as long as the tire is the right diameter.