Back from Island Camping on Lake George!

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Had a great time! Was a little nervous being it is the largest lake I've ever been on and our boat is only 19ft and older but everything worked out perfectly! Launched at the Norwal in Boltons landing, (just OK Place- really expensive for a launch & 3 days of storage), but convenient for reaching Glenn islands. I was surprised how analitical they were at inspecting the hull, I flushed the engine and had the boat out for over a week and cleaned off all the prior scum so I was clean but they still found a piece of sea weed between my bunks I missed which seemed to be a big deal.

Island living was rustic, fortunately my partner sucked it up for the 3 nights dispite not being a lover of camping, :joyous: my Co-worker DD and his wife joined us with their 24ft Bayliner sun deck (it would have been lonely without friends)!

We boated down to lake george town, beautiful area, much improved since the last time I was there a decade ago, nice public docks and accomodations. No shortage of T shirt and chachi gift shops... good food and wine:)

Next day was rougher water, took the 24ft boat to Rogers Rock, it was a long haul for lake boaters accustomed to a 10 mi long lake:) but a beautiful ride and very relaxing! Just soaked in the natural beauty and mountains!

My favorate moment was Wake Boarding up the narrows one night around 5pm, area was empty, no boats around, not a house in sight, water was glass and sunset was beautiful between the mountains, I couldnt take it in faster, just felt like a really blessed moment to be a part of such natural beauty and a lucky guy to be a part of it even for just a night!

The water was surprisingly warm! I didnt need my wetsuit I had packed, the quality was amazing, being able to see down near 20 ft was just awesome!

gtochris

Re: Back from Island Camping on Lake George!

Picture 176.jpgPicture 125.jpgPicture 196.jpgPicture 206.jpgPicture 148.jpg

Handful of pictures of Rogers Rock, "The Potty" on the island, my partner CM and I, (I'm on the right), looking down 20ft in the water, our camp and the boat.

duke1012

Seaman Apprentice

seems like a nice trip ,,I know the feeling of having a partner that does not enjoy the rustic outdoor adventures ,, believe it or not in years boating here in florida we have never ran into another gay boating couple ,, enjoy your time together out on the water ,,

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i hear ya my wife hates camping in general, get her on an island with no road access, pssh that will never happen

looks like an awesome place tho i would love to do something like that

gtochris

i hear ya my wife hates camping in general, get her on an island with no road access, pssh that will never happen

looks like an awesome place tho i would love to do something like that

Thanks!
I think "next time" we will choose either camping on land with provisions (bath house) OR try and find a B&B or hotel on the water that is affordable.

This was a real pushing the boundries trip for me since my boating experience is 20+ years growing up on the same lake going in a circle. I look forward to doing something similar again, hopefully with a newer boat next time:)

NHGuy

Captain

Sounds like a trip to remember. And it's OK to bump yours & others limits at times. Then you bounce back and decide what's next!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

'Thanks for the info, doing that has been on my bucket list for awhile.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Miss doing that. HAven't been there since I was a kid.

1ruralmailman

Seaman

hey there sounds like a great time.if you are willing to do this ,then next time come on up and put in the barge canal.the water isnt crystal clear,but you can travel along and pull up to a town dock or marina every 15miles or so.plenty of places to stay,eat,and explore.come on up and have fun.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, the cabin looks a bit small.

Snicker, Snicker.