new boater need advice on 135 evinrude outboard v4

waynesumner

Cadet
well i recently decided to work on this boat thats been setting for about 5+ years. im not sure if it runs but i would like to know what i should do befor trying to start the engine and what type of battery is needed i have much questions if anyone could help methat would be great.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: new boater need advice on 135 evinrude outboard v4

Mix some premix fuel in a jar 50 to 1 and spray it into the cylinders while gently turning around the flywheel
Id also drop the leg and replace the impeller and keep the leg off and flush through the water intake with a hose for the first start up.

Battery for start up thats over 350cca should get you a good start, but a battery on a boat should be bigger and also not the low maintenance type, ie it should haves caps to refill the fluid level.
What year is it?
Has it a VRo or is it mix your own?
You should also check the gearbox fluid too

Bosunsmate

Admiral

The rings can stick to the cylinder walls if they sit for a while so if possible tilt it up and spray some oil in those cylinders and leave it to penetrate overnight

waynesumner

Cadet

im not sure what year but I will get some pics up by tomarrow. also since I don't have a batter and assume they will be a pretty penny will a car battery be suitable for a moment? where is the leg and water intake located? also im not sure if it pre mix or anything im a new new to this and have not a clue where to begin.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

My car battery is what i use, i know its fully charged then too.
Post some photos and someone will tell you if its premix or not. I prefer premix.
The leg is easy to see, its the long bit under the motor.
The bit you want to drop is the lower leg also known as the lower unit or gearbox. There will be a few bolts there to undo and you also need to undo a pin for the shift lever up in the engine bay. If you dont, the shift shaft will stay attached to the top engine and when you drop the lower leg, which is heavy it will rip parts of the gearbox out of place.
You need to drop it as since the motor has sat for so long the waterpump might have perished so could throw bits of rubber up into the engine on start up. If that happened you wouldnt like it.
So post as many photos as you can of each side of the motor, left right front back etc and see if you can find a serial number/model number too, it is normally stamped on the bracket which attachs to your boat.

Last edited:

waynesumner

Cadet

well that little bit of info helped a lot. I will get pics up asap. what do you mean by pre mix? as 2 cycle oil in the gas or injected?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

yep premix- 2cycle oil mixed in the gas. I add gas first to tank then oil to tank then shake it a bit

waynesumner

Cadet

ok so recap! unhook leg from gear box, rinse water intake, check gear box oil, hook up battery, cycle some oil through heads to lube pistons and let penetrate for a day or so and use mixed gas at 50to1 ratio and turn it over? and use 2 cycle to lube the pistons?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

yes undo bottom gearbox, there are probably 8 stainless bolts just above the prop, one is hidden under the trim tab, the bit that looks like a little circle with a piece of metal sticking down.
But first you must undo the shift shaft from under the carb.
You will need to post photos or your engine model number so someone can tell you how to do that
After you have dropped it take the nozzle off your hose and connect it over the water intake pipe that you will see coming out where the gearbox was, put the hose on medium pressure to flush the system through, you can also run the motor on this hose too, but dont do it for too long at medium rpm as the engine needs more water at higher rpm.

Hook up battery last,

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice

The info you got from Bosunsmate is great and totally right on, but as new to this as you are, you should get a repair manual for that outboard. That way you can get a good idea on what your about to jump into. LOL. If you do it wrong, you might end up with a new anchor.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd say it needs a mechanic at this point. Carb's are probably all gunky. It probably would be a good idea to take the motor to the shop for a complete workout.

If you do decide to drop the lower unit it is easier if you first remove the left and right skirts (the hood clamps to them) for a clear shot to the shift rod pin.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your mechanicaly inclined you'll be fine, between your motor, the forums and some tools you should be able to do a lot of repairs. for now i say get a buddy with a can of ether, the muffs for water, some premix in a tank, a battery and fire that bad boy up. but make sure she pees, no pee stop motor. there's a sticky at the top of the forum with plenty of great info read slowly, look at motor slowly etc.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

On the pre-mix - use only TWC rated marine oil - - not automotive motor oil.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I have to very respectfully disagree with PN. Two Cycle motors and Ether do not go well together,no lubrication qualities at all. I would use a spray bottle of Pre-Mix instead. Just my two cents.

willy007

Seaman

Two Cycle motors and Ether do not go well together,no lubrication qualities at all. I would use a spray bottle of Pre-Mix instead. Just my two cents.

Agree with TD_Maker... use a spray bottle with Pre-Mix

waynesumner

Cadet

ok well after reading all this I have an understanding. I removed spark plugs and they were in good shape. the engine has compression and can move pretty well just by turning the flywheel I guess it is. but I was spinning the propeller and I can hear a rattling sound inside. not sure if that's ok or real bad? and I have evinrude gear box oil. I am mechanicly inclined and I think I can handle it. I just need some pointers and advice to lead me in the right direction. will be getting some pics up and the serial/model number up. also the egine does have cobwebs and all but I took the box covering the carb off it wasn't bad and the throttle plates were clean so I assume the carb isn't too dirty inside. my main problem is figuring out how to get the leg off to even try and start the engine so I don't risk blowing it or damaging it.

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice

Still take the carbs off and clean them. Do you know if it had gas in it while it sat for five years. The varnish in those carbs has to be horrid. Gas evaporates and oil stays behind making even more of a mess of the delicate parts inside. Don't rush anything and you should end up with a great outboard.

waynesumner

Cadet

no, no gas tank anyway......I just got the boat up to my garage so ill be on here more often doing some reading. sorry about not having pics up or serial model number. just got the title for the boat and all though. again I appreciate all the input from every one will keep the thread updated periodicly.