Mooring a 25' Sailboat

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 25' sailboat I will be mooring on the Delaware River. Theres a 6-7' difference in tides and the current runs about 2-3 knots maximum Ill be mooring it in I would guess 20'-25' of water at high tide (Possible 15-25' Im not entirely positive) I know the weight of the trailer and boat is 4800, its a dual axle trailer so id say the boat maybe weighs 3-3500 lbs. I have a mooring mushroom which is plenty big its rated for something like a 30' boat. What size line should I run from the chain that is already attached to where it meets the boat. Any general information would be helpful also, I dont plan on running a mooring ball maybe a rubber one but thats it.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Mooring a 25' Sailboat

The mooring specs generally will say to use about 2 or 2-1/2 times your depth, plus the pendant. So you are looking at about 50-60 feet of chain up to your mooring ball. Which will have to be good sized in order to hold that much chain.

If you do not have a mooring ball or good sized float of some sort, nothing to hold it up when the boat is not attached.

you should be using about a 200 lb mooring anchor for that size boat.

As far as the pendant line, maybe 1/2" or 5/8" line at a length of twice the height to the deck from the water line.

any professional mooring installers in your area or other references that you can consult on this?

BTW - is this boat a Catalina 25 ?

Last edited:

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

Good to know and Im not sure what make its a 1980 not a big name that I can remember such as Catalina, Hunter etc.
The mooring specs generally will say to use about 2 or 2-1/2 times your depth, plus the pendant. So you are looking at about 50-60 feet of chain up to your mooring ball. Which will have to be good sized in order to hold that much chain.

If you do not have a mooring ball or good sized float of some sort, nothing to hold it up when the boat is not attached.

you should be using about a 200 lb mooring anchor for that size boat.

As far as the pendant line, maybe 1/2" or 5/8" line at a length of twice the height to the deck from the water line.

any professional mooring installers in your area or other references that you can consult on this?

BTW - is this boat a Catalina 25 ?

Ned L

Commander

tpenfield's advise sounds fine. And as he said, you will need some sort of a 'mooring ball' to keep the chain up.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

Good to know and Im not sure what make its a 1980 not a big name that I can remember such as Catalina, Hunter etc.

I plan on using a rubber ball, just not a hard ball something i can pull out of the water.