Aftermarket fuel pump wiring question

99chevyjoe

Recruit
Hello everyone,
Let me start with this: motor is a '96 Mercruiser MCM 5.7L Serial# OF789110. It has the Alpha One outdrive. I lost the block last winter to a deep freeze ( a month of about -10* to -25*). I had a hard time finding a replacement crate motor (that allowed me to keep both arms) that accepted a mechanical fuel pump, so I'm having to convert to an electric pump.
I'm trying to wire in an aftermarket fuel pump but I am missing a terminal on my starter solenoid. I understand that I need to wire this through an oil pressure switch (which I have), but I also have to have current supplied to the pump while cranking. The problem I'm having is that the starter I have (OEM and original) on my motor only has two terminals (Permanent Magnet gear reduction 200). The large terminal accepts the Big red(Bat +), the Orange(Alt.) and the red/purple(to Breaker then slave). The small terminal accepts the yellow/red(back from slave).
My question is can I use the small terminal(with the yellow/red) to supply power to the pump while cranking?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Aftermarket fuel pump wiring question

Not exactly, you could use that wire for a feed but you need to install a blocking diode.Once the pump is energized from the ign circuit thru the pressure switch it will backfeed into the solenoid causing it to operate.It may not be necessary to have that extra feed though.
You could have it wired thru a seperate push button switch ,dash or engine mounted to prime the system if needed. Have 2 motors wired like that now with the engine mounted switch. on-off-momentary on, no customer complaints .should the pressure switch malfunction,instead of twisting the switch wires together just put the priming switch to on.

99chevyjoe

Recruit
Re: Aftermarket fuel pump wiring question

Another question I have is: I have a diagram that I copied out of my manual for my motor, and one that I printed off of this website earlier today. The "typical" diagram shows the purple wire coming of the alternator, to the oil pressure switch, to the purple/yellow that ties into the fuel pump, that also ties into the electric choke. The diagram that I have from my manual shows the purple/yellow wire goes from the Alt. directly to the choke. Should I still pull my power from the purple wire as shown in the "typical" diagram, or should I pull it from the purple/yellow on the choke circuit? Where do you think the best place to pull the fuel pump power would be?
scan0006.jpgscan0005.jpg