Battery Wire Hook Up

phillamp8

Recruit
Hey Guys,
Here is my problem. I recently got an 85 Stingray with a GM 3.8 OMC I/O. The person I got it from disconnected the battery and left the wires hanging. Here is my dilemma. Somewhere along the line he has taped some wires that were red with black tape that to me would indicate they were now negative wires. Before I hook anything back up I want to make sure I have them correct. I think he may have not because both fuses are blown. Does the fuse wire that I follow back go to positive and neg. I know the two big wires for the trim/tilt and the starter go to positive but the others not sure. There are also a couple of smaller ones. Should there be a big ground that goes to the block like a auto would have? Just joined the site but have been looking at stuff on here and really like the forum. Hopefully I am posting this correctly and in the right spot. If not tell me and I will change it. I am a quick learner.

Thanks

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Battery Wire Hook Up

As far as I know yes you will have negative larger black cable running from battery to block of motor.

phillamp8

Recruit
Re: Battery Wire Hook Up

That's what I thought. Then the wires from the two big fuses go to the positive side of the battery right?